Will this stand hold up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my new 6ft longx2ft highx1.5ft wide 132g or 500 litres. I am concern about stand can't take up the total weight. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• dcp_0005_607.jpg
    dcp_0005_607.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 51
First off, sorry about Steve Irwin, man that sucks!

As far as the stand goes, you may want to beef it up a little, atleast reinforce it...maybe a couple crossmembers!

that looks very similar to the way I built my stand. the 2x4's on mine are more directly under the corners and double reinforced at the tops and bottoms to prevent twisting, with an extra cross beam underneath the middle section. the vertical support of the four corners and center should be doubled due to the size of your tank for stability. better to over do it than under do it.

Steve Irwin? Man I am expecting this due to the nature of his works. But all along I thought he would lose his life to a crocodile not stingray.

The stand I think I might want to get a metal one instead.

Figuring water weighs 8.15 pounds per gallon I would seriously wonder if that stand would hold the weight. It comes to 1108 lbs which is over 1/2 a ton. But as I look at mine which is covered, the only difference is double reinforcement on both sides of the corner. Maybe someone with experience can help.

now that i look at it, i cant tell from the pic, but the supporting piece the tank sits on looks sideways while the vertical supports to the floor look like they connect to it from the inside. the tank supports should be turned flat with the vertical supports underneath so the weight rests on top of the tank support and this in turn rests on top of the vertical supports. i would still double them, like in this simplified diagram.

Attachments

• stand_385.jpg
    stand_385.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 209
Firstly I'm not trained in this, but if I were making this my thoughts would be....

I would have to considor the weakpoints, where it can come crashing down.

I would be beefing up the squared thickness of those legs. Also I'd be doing to research on re-enforcing those corner joins. I'd add a corner bracket to ensure that those joins stay rigid and together (http://www.churchantiques.com/photos/under_taper_table_medium.jpg).

Usually I look for inspiration from other similar items, such as various large tables, and load bearing joins in my house.

I'd also be ensuring it remains symetrical and adding another two evenly spaced tortionals to share the bracing load.

This software is for making a table, but it might help with the design and have some tips of building strong load bearing tables: http://www.knightlite.com/creative/

Surely there are some calculation references online to ensure certain thickness and strength of materials are used.

Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it. I think I will be getting a new stand either a cabinet type or a steel one.

Back
Top Bottom