Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will this stand hold up???

This is my new 6ft longx2ft highx1.5ft wide 132g or 500 litres. I am concern about stand can't take up the total weight. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0005_607.jpg (100.5 KB, 48 views)

Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First off, sorry about Steve Irwin, man that sucks!

As far as the stand goes, you may want to beef it up a little, atleast reinforce it...maybe a couple crossmembers!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #3

that looks very similar to the way I built my stand. the 2x4's on mine are more directly under the corners and double reinforced at the tops and bottoms to prevent twisting, with an extra cross beam underneath the middle section. the vertical support of the four corners and center should be doubled due to the size of your tank for stability. better to over do it than under do it.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve Irwin? Man I am expecting this due to the nature of his works. But all along I thought he would lose his life to a crocodile not stingray.

The stand I think I might want to get a metal one instead.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Everyone is taking it hard in australia I suppose?

Sorry to derail!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Figuring water weighs 8.15 pounds per gallon I would seriously wonder if that stand would hold the weight. It comes to 1108 lbs which is over 1/2 a ton. But as I look at mine which is covered, the only difference is double reinforcement on both sides of the corner. Maybe someone with experience can help.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If those legs are directly supporting what the tank is on then I think it'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #8

now that i look at it, i cant tell from the pic, but the supporting piece the tank sits on looks sideways while the vertical supports to the floor look like they connect to it from the inside. the tank supports should be turned flat with the vertical supports underneath so the weight rests on top of the tank support and this in turn rests on top of the vertical supports. i would still double them, like in this simplified diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand_385.jpg (9.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Firstly I'm not trained in this, but if I were making this my thoughts would be....

I would have to considor the weakpoints, where it can come crashing down.

I would be beefing up the squared thickness of those legs. Also I'd be doing to research on re-enforcing those corner joins. I'd add a corner bracket to ensure that those joins stay rigid and together (http://www.churchantiques.com/photos...ble_medium.jpg).

Usually I look for inspiration from other similar items, such as various large tables, and load bearing joins in my house.

I'd also be ensuring it remains symetrical and adding another two evenly spaced tortionals to share the bracing load.

This software is for making a table, but it might help with the design and have some tips of building strong load bearing tables: http://www.knightlite.com/creative/

Surely there are some calculation references online to ensure certain thickness and strength of materials are used.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it. I think I will be getting a new stand either a cabinet type or a steel one.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com