Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Trying to balance out my pumps....
Here is what i got (see pic)
my pump for my PS is a mag 9 and my return is a mag 5. Right now I have to adjust the flow alot on my mag 9 that my PS is not working correctly and I'm still having problems just balancing the 2 out.
Before anyone starts, I know the mag 5 isnt powerfull enough to balance with the mag 9. So I ordered another mag 5 and will have 2 returns. I have ball values on each pump in case I need to adjust the flow. I was just goin to get a mag 7 for my PS (which is whats recommended) but then I wouldnt have any use for my mag 5 and Its cheaper for me to get another mag 5 and have 2 returns. I also think this will be good for the flow. in my tank :)
Unfortantely my PS is alittle too big for my sump and the fit in the pic fits perfect in my stand.
Will that work....I was thinking of any other way but this seems to be the best solution.

Attachments

• filterflow_136.jpg
    filterflow_136.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 153
  • filterflow_650.jpg
    filterflow_650.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 148
your thinking of taking water from a sump via a PS PH and expect it to keep up with the flow???
There are 2 tanks/sumps here? If that is the case it will not work.
1- you need a mag 7 or a ph that is rated the same to have the skimmer work properly.
There is no way a skimmer is going to keep up with the flow need. When water gets pumped into the skimmer is slows the flow down.
I would say you need to go back to the drawing board :(

Dude....there is no powerhead in my pic.
The mag 9 is powering the skimmer and the 2 mag 5 will be my return....I think that only issue ill have is getting it all adjusted correctly

Dude it still won't work....
pump/power head same thing..
Your using 2 tanks right!!!
What happens if the pump on the skimmer craps out... What happens if the pump on the return craps out at different times.. I see floods happening with this set up.
IMO a mag 9 is too much for that skimmer. Is it a reef devil skimmer? If so I have 2 and you can not over power them and expect them to work properly.
Just trying to give you some help with your question...
I still say go back to the drawing board.. :roll:

For this system to work, IMO, you should join the two buckets with, at least, a 2 inch pipe. This way, if your return pump fails, and it happens, then your skimmer will skim itself to death and you will not end up with a major flood.

I also agree with seaham, the skimmer pump will not be able tio keep up with the return pump, and you are looking at potential flood issues. Why chance it? Play it safe and truly enjoy your tank and fishies. :)

8)

You will not get it balanced since the flow of pumps isn't as constant as we would like. This is doomed. Return from the second tank back into the first by an overflow and return to the show tank from the first.

well...i honestly dont know what other option i have. I want to stay away from drilling my sump but i guess i'll have to...urggg
The skimmer is abit too big to fit into my sump plus its doesnt make since to have the output of ur skimmer go back into your sump with which your pulling water from to skimmer.
I wonder if I can make sometype of overflow box incase the skimmer pump fails...that way water will still flow to the other sump.
any suggestion with how to set up with the existing equipment i have?
I have a maxi-reef sump with 1" overflow
mag 9
mag 5 (another coming but I may return if I dont or cant use it)
and the ETSS reef devil skimmer.
I really dont want to have to buy alot of extra stuff....I've already spent alot and dont want to end up with unused equipment.

Here is a diagram I found on inlandreef.com that has a sump with a refugium tied in. I haven't experienced this personally, but it may be worth looking at to prevent any disasters. HTH

Mike

Attachments

• refugium_plumb.jpg
    refugium_plumb.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 214
yeah...the only issue is the 10 gal is a glass tank....drilling that many be a pain.
I think I will see if i can get the skimmer in the sump and take out the 10 gal or do a extrenal skimmer.
I was thinking of making a overflow box between the 2 sumps.
in the long run I make sell the sump alone and buy a long tank to use as my sump and put in dividers.

That is the beauty of acrylic. I just bought a new sump 30x16x16 with bulkheads at customaquatics.com for $170. You should check it out instead of using glass so you can drill the bulkheads where you want them.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom