Will too much calcium kill corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a new bubble coral and tested my water before I put him in. All of the readings were fine, except for my calcium (too high). My clacium is currently sitting between 500 and 520. I heard that the appropriate levels are supposed to be between 420 and 480. Anyway, will having to much calcium hurt the coral and if so what can I do to lower it? TIA

If your tank is out of balance, it can hurt corals. How did it get so high? What is the Alk reading?

The short answer to your question is water changes. That is the ultimate answer when things go out of whack.

As of right now my AK reading is 10 degrees. basically I overdosed it when I started to put corals in my tank to begin with, thats where the problem lies. How much of a water change due you think I should do in order to get things back to normal? And if so, that would probablly affect my Ak using R/O water right?

I would be doing 20% water changes. Your alk should balance out just by the salt mix.

Back
Top Bottom