Will tropical seaweed grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropics

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am interested in setting up a saltwater tank with different varieties of tropical seaweed, with fish or other animals optional. This idea was sparked when I was at a beach here in Hawaii. I came upon a calm, shallow area of water where a mass of various types of seaweed had gathered, floating freely. I was amazed at the variety of colors and shapes. I know very little about saltwater aquariums, and I wonder if I would be able to maintain the seaweed in an aquarium. If so, what kind of equipment would I need? The same equipment as for fish? Or could I get away with a smaller sized aquarium (say 10 or 20 gallons) with fewer pieces of equipment? I want to put something together that has a pretty good chance of succeeding, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money. Thank you for any advice you can give me

ummm.... that would be kind of like a refugeum, but not attatched to a tank. A refugeum tank is basically just a tank for growing macro algae and is used for biological filtration in reef tanks. Look up information on that and you should get a good idea of what you need.

Back
Top Bottom