Wil's 150 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilescool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm wil, I'm semi-new to aquarium advice, and I am very new to reef or even saltwater aquariums, but have been planning one for a while. I've read a couple of books and read a lot on here so hopefully I am prepared for the challenge. Me being so new to this I apologize in advance for any incompetence, and any advice will most likely be helpful, thanks!
So yesterday I was able to pick up a pretty sweet deal on a "100" gallon tank with a very nice sump, with pumps and more extras (pics and more info will be below). The dude also threw in a 55 gallon with stand and coral light which I still some how had space for in my car, so that was an added bonus. The guy said he was in process of resealing the "100" gallon which I will have to finish , and his stand was left outside for a very long time and just way to big for me to transport so I decided I would just make my own. When I got the thing home I measured it out and put the dimensions into a calculator to find out it was actually about 145 gallons (73x20x24). The tank is extremely long which I'm hoping won't present Too many added challenges, and will turn out to be a really cool looking reef tank!

IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0923.jpgIMG_0919.jpg
The sump is a cy194 and the pumps it came with are a rio 3100 (900 gph) and a rio 2100 (650 gph)
Does anyone have experience with these pumps or sump and do you like them?

I could could also use some advice for lighting. What will work for this long of an aquarium and grow coral well?

IMG_0920.jpg
The one thing I am concerned about is this one side panel is loose enough (on one of the edges) for me to wiggle a little. So my biggest question is right now will just a reseal on the inside edges of the tank be enough for this to be safe? There is a guy at my LFS who reseals tank should I get him to do it for me, as I have no experience?

Another big question I have is this tank is not drilled and I purchased an 800 gph hob overflow box. I have drilled aquariums before but not to the extant I would feel comfortable drilling this one. Does anyone think this will cause problems in the future or will this be fine.

Hopefully within a week or so I will get the stand built and the tank resealed. I will be updating this post as much as possible!
And if anyone needs me to post more pictures or give more information of anything just let me know.

Any advice on anything will most likely help as I am new to saltwater aquariums!

I don't think working with silicone is that bad...but when it comes to a large tank I'd feel uneasy and want someone else to do it.
For drilling the tank, it isn't that hard. Just a glass drill bit with play doh around the area so you can fill it with water. I think gl*******s.com still works and was a popular site to use for some time for such things.

Back
Top Bottom