Wk3 and there is a brown in my substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed this morning that there is like a "brownish path" in my substrate. To better describe, the sand was a perfect light color and now after having a two fish in there for a little over 2 weeks there are these brown areas on the sand.

Is this normal? I am assming the substrate doesn't stay a perfect light sand color?

I am feeding twice a day (as per the store's direction). I am using frozen Brine Shrimp. I cut the cut in half and then cut that portion in half. So my two clown fish is getting a half of a frozen cube per day. Does this sound like the correct amount?

When I feed, the fish go crazy, eating almost everything. I know overfeeding can lead to problems (not sure what kind of problems?) but how do you know how much too feed?

2 clowns
1 shrimp
4 snails (my daugher calls them Gary)
10 tiny hermit crabs

Thanks!
:p

The brown areas are just diatoms, a type of algae that forms shortly after cycling in almost every single new tank. It will go away by itself in time but if you are bothered with the appearance most snails will eat it.

Feeding twice a day isn't really necessary. I feed once a day and many feed every other day. Fish will always beg for food, even when they don't need it. Brine shrimp is not very nutritious and should be used more like a "treat." If you continue with brine you should gut load them with vitamins. Mysis shrimp is a much better choice and most fish go crazy for it as well. As a general rule you should feed as much as they can eat in 2-3 minutes.

Atte gave you some good advice.
The brown diatoms are normal and will burn out over time.
Cut your feeding to once every 2 - 3 days and change to real food. Brine shrimp are considered to be like feeding them potato chips.

I use Rod's Food (frozen) but you can probably make do with some decent flake food like Ocean Nutrition Formula One, or any of a dozen others. I rotate between Rod's, Formula One, and freeze dried Mysis.

Are all the snails Gary? Like Hi, I'm Gary and this is my brother Gary, and this is my other brother, Gary??? :D

thanks... My four year old hasn't put it together that there are four of them. They are never in the same spot so I think she thinks there's only one of them... ha.

meow.

Back
Top Bottom