Woke up this morning to dead fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angeleyes2325

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning and went to turn there light on in my 55 gallon and every single fish I own was dead in there. I don't understand why if checked the water right away and everything was perfect. Any one know what could have happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You overstocked the tank with large fish that don't belong in it with out the proper biological filtration in place inside the tank would be my guess

All the fish I have in this tank have been in there a really long time I don't believe I was overstocked.

I had 2 clowns
2 yellow belly damsels
2 yellow tail damsels
And a major damsel
Then a Royal Gramma

You think that might have been 2 much for it?

I don't. Especially over night. What was the temp? There are many other things that could have killed the fish that you don't test for. Is there any film on the surface?

My temp is 78 what I always keep it at. There was no film on top or anything. Also my two stars are still alive but I moved them to another tank for now to be safe. :(

The one this one happened 2 was almost 2 years old very stable fish I haven't had to do much except feed them and my bi weekly water changes.

Did you happen to notice whether the fish died with their gills flared out or if they looked like themselves only dead? Each condition is a clue to a possibility.

Those fish are pretty hardy. One possibility that can wipe out your fish overnight while not affecting corals and inverts would be the Marine Velvet parasites. When was the last time you added a livestock in your tank?

I didn't notice that they looked any different. Also I haven't added anything new to that tank in 6 months or more last thing I got was a clown

Do you have lots of Coraline Algae and good water circulation and water surface agitation? What were your pH and alk readings the morning the fish were dead? Lack of oxygen is another possibility.

No equipment shorted as far as I know everything was working fine. I feel like I'm cursed!!! Lol

Id say electric shock. Happened to a friends tank. He's heater was shorting out and killed all he's fish. Only thing that survived was the clean up crew. Maybe check your heater?

Ok thank you that's a great idea it really sucks though I had those fish a long time :(

Do you have lots of Coraline Algae and good water circulation and water surface agitation? What were your pH and alk readings the morning the fish were dead? Lack of oxygen is another possibility.
The typical sign of fish that die from asphyxiation (lack of oxygen) is their gills will be flared out due to trying to breathe the largest breaths causing their gills to flare. This state would be seen in all the dead fish as well. "normal" appearance is usually a sign of biological demise. ( i.e. disease, old age, etc.)

The electric issue bares looking in to. Heaters, cracked heaters actually, can leak an electrical charge into the water which may have done the fish in. It could also have been from any other electrical item in the tank. You may want to use a voltage meter to check the tank for electricity leaks before adding anything back to the tank or replacing machinery. If you do show electric in the tank, start unplugging each machine one by one to see which item is leaking the charge. It used to happen frequently with submersible power heads so I won;t jumpt to conclusion that it's from the heater.

Hope this helps(y)

Were you doing any cleaning that night? Did you have your hands/arms in the tank? Any chance something toxic could have been introduced?

I agree electrical needs to be looked into.

Hey guys I looked into the electrical and I can't find anything wrong with anything I completely drained my tank and I will start over with this one but I wasent cleaning or anything like that around the tank. It's really bothering me that this happened because a lot of weird things have been happening around my house the last week

Hey guys I looked into the electrical and I can't find anything wrong with anything I completely drained my tank and I will start over with this one but I wasent cleaning or anything like that around the tank. It's really bothering me that this happened because a lot of weird things have been happening around my house the last week

All related to the fish? If so your water municipality may have added a new chemical to the water supply and it could have been introduced to all of your tanks. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom