Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah! I think I have bit off more than I can chew with the 55g.... It seems like as sons as everything is good and thriving and looking good something happens that wrecks everything and I can't afford to keep it looking good after a crash. I'm thinking of trying to trade my whole system for a biocube

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't lost any of the fish in my system though and I'll be heart broken if they don't survive

Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
How often do you have your water tested, is it possible this didn't happen all of a sudden? Water params don't often read off the charts overnight without a drastic change in the tank. It may have been building up for ages before you noticed cloudy water?
I have the same line of thinking as yours. Since the tank crashed a while back, using the same substrate and rocks would cause such mini cycle. The tank must have been running at the threshold level and finally reach the breaking point when some more live stocks were added. In other words, the tank might be over stocked and crashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It just sounds like you tried a little too much too fast, especially with the nem..... You're actually better off sticking with the 55 rather than going down to a 28 or 29 nano/bio cube. The larger water volume affords you some more stability. If you think you're having problems with a 55, it would be twice as bad with half the volume.... trust me, I tried it. Working in construction, I put in some long hours as well. When you have a really long day, sometimes the last thing you feel like doing is working on your tank, and you absolutely cannot neglect a smaller tank. I wound up building a rescue tank with a sump system in the basement just to save what was in my nano, and after it fully establishes, I'll be tying the nano (or larger) back into the system.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I have the same line of thinking as yours. Since the tank crashed a while back, using the same substrate and rocks would cause such mini cycle. The tank must have been running at the threshold level and finally reach the breaking point when some more live stocks were added. In other words, the tank might be over stocked and crashing.
Since the heater incident and I lost everything but fish ( 1 month ago) I have been doing weekly 20% water changes and testing my levels once a week. Zeros across the board an oh perfect everytime with my home test until it ran out and the LFS test.
I have never had a water quality issue before. I use ro/di everytime and use bright well reef crystals
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
It just sounds like you tried a little too much too fast, especially with the nem..... You're actually better off sticking with the 55 rather than going down to a 28 or 29 nano/bio cube. The larger water volume affords you some more stability. If you think you're having problems with a 55, it would be twice as bad with half the volume.... trust me, I tried it. Working in construction, I put in some long hours as well. When you have a really long day, sometimes the last thing you feel like doing is working on your tank, and you absolutely cannot neglect a smaller tank. I wound up building a rescue tank with a sump system in the basement just to save what was in my nano, and after it fully establishes, I'll be tying the nano (or larger) back into the system.
I hear ya. It's funny because I have had zero problems with my 12g fowlr.

I love this hobby. Situations like this is just so discouraging.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suspect you are having a diatom bloom. A new LR added can cause this as the link below suggests.

The Dreaded Diatom Bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sounds about right.

Doing a 50% water change tomorrow first thing.

While I was at work my boyfriend dropped the pitiful Nem off at a friends house to see if he could rehab it. And it might be my imagination but the tank has cleared up incredibly in the hours after it's been out of the tank.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any updates? Hows it goin?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes! Did a 50% water change last night and woke up to crystal clear water today. Ran a test kit no nitrates nitrites or ammonia and 8.4 ph!!!!!!! I was so happy.
My Nem at my friends house doesn't look like it's going to make it

But I'm so relieved. All the coral looks bak to normal. I still wish I knew how it happened.

I did remember my cleaner shrimp disappeared a whole ago , my brittle star usually eats anything like that that dies... But if the shrimp did decompose would that be enough to spoke ammonia super high?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com