Woke up to a super cloudy tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
He picture doesn't do justice how cloudy my tank is. My test kit is out so I'm about to run to my LFS and I will post parameters soon and get water for a water change. Until then, any ideas what's going on?

Over the last week I have added a RTBA , a starry blenny, and a pound of Lr with coral.

Help :(

Just left LFS..... My levels are of the chain. Decree nitrites, my nitrates are in th 100s amonia off the chart only thing that right is my ph. Doing a 20% water change. Adding a pound of live sand, and a whole bottle if bio-spira, and hooking up a protein skimmer, I don't understand why this happening..

:( any other tips? I used ammonia reducer too

take everything you just bought, back to the store. i don't understand how your ammonia could be off the charts, is there anything in the tank that has gone missing? your going to have to do several large water changes to get all of the levels down. how old is the tank?

Take back the bottle of chemicals? I already put it in :( they usually give good advice so I didn't have a reason not to trust there advice.
I just did a 20 and was going to do another tomorrow

Everyone is accounted for and alive. The tank is about 8 months old

Only thing I can think is a mini cycle from adding live rock but not enough added to cause you to be off the chart. Other than that as said above has anything died in there?

Take back the bottle of chemicals? I already put it in :( they usually give good advice so I didn't have a reason not to trust there advice. I just did a 20 and was going to do another tomorrow

no not the chemicals, take back at least the anemone before it dies and "nukes" your tank. 20% water change? thats not going to do very much at all. unfortunately your going to need to do at least 3 50% water changes.

Yeah I added a pound at the very most of Lr. Nothing I can think of has died. I even saw my sand sifting star this morning. Nothing seemed bothered by the cloudiness , not even the Nem, all the corals were open. But the cloudiness was getting worse by the minute . So I went and got my levels checked. They were rediculous, so ( as instructed by the LFS) I did a 20% water change , added a pound of live sand, a bottle of the bio spiro, and a capful of amonia reducer.

no not the chemicals, take back at least the anemone before it dies and "nukes" your tank. 20% water change? thats not going to do very much at all. unfortunately your going to need to do at least 3 50% water changes.

I got the Nem at a frag swap....

I would defo invest in a test kit so you know the exact readings rather than just off the chart too

I had one from a friend but it ran out, I'll grab another one tomorrow when I go get more water.

The Nem did close up during the water change but not anymore than when it does at night when the lights are off

so ( as instructed by the LFS) I did a 20% water change , added a pound of live sand, a bottle of the bio spiro, and a capful of amonia reducer.

Please tell me you didn't go to Saltwater Warehouse......

Aquandrew is correct.... right now, the best thing you can do is a few large back-to-back water changes. Dumping chemicals in is not the answer

How often do you have your water tested, is it possible this didn't happen all of a sudden? Water params don't often read off the charts overnight without a drastic change in the tank. It may have been building up for ages before you noticed cloudy water?

I went to Gerber's SaltWater ware house...
I had my levels tested last Sunday when I did a water change routine, they were all zero and 8.4 ph

Am I going to loose everything? Again.... My heater exploded 2 months ago and everything was just looking good again

Keep the water changes up get a test kit and try and get everything down and hopefully most of your stuff will be ok. How did your heater explode?

It was faulty I think I was in my living room and all the sudden my breaker to my house flipped and the sump started smoking. The heater was in a million pieces. Next morning all my coral was dead. I've been slowly restarting and now this.

Please tell me you didn't go to Saltwater Warehouse...... Aquandrew is correct.... right now, the best thing you can do is a few large back-to-back water changes. Dumping chemicals in is not the answer

Why do you say that about saltwater warehouse?

Back
Top Bottom