Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to WildFlower
Don't think it was grazing crabs making that loud of a noise this morn.. soon as I head the noise I looked, I looked everywhere... saw nothing on the glass at all.. This evening I spent over an hour with a flash light looking at every corner, hole, crevice, hiding place I could find. Found lots of interesting live creatures but one in particular is suspect to my eye... this one moved FAST as I hit the light in the hole it really buried itself deep!!!.. If it is the Mantis, I think I found his home

I hear that the Mantis are very smart and have incredible eyesight... so I'm going to set the trap and bait it for a couple days.. let it (hopefully trust the trap) then I'm having shrimp fishing expedition in the dark and hope I can get it..

Still wishing for pistol shrimp.. if I'm wrong and it proves to be a Mantis.. any takers???

WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mine would not come out until I put the rock under the tap and ran fairly warm water all over it. Everything bailed out into a pan for retrieval. The mantis is now in a separate 10 gal tank by himself. Anything alive that goes in there is gone by morning. He likes guppies and grass shrimp in particular, and is growing like a weed.

KLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
How does a mantis shrimp looks like? Is it like bristle worm? I saw one poping its head and half of its body out few weeks ago when I switch off the lights, it doesn't look like shrimp at all, it is long and looks like worms, but its large in size as compared to bristle worms. But I do heard some coin knocking glass sound twice, once mid-night, once early morning. How do I check that if there is any mantis shrimp in my tank? Will it kill my fish? I do have fishes lost its fins or part of tail some times, I'm not sure whether its done by other fish mates or the shrimp. But most of the fishes, maroon clown, some damsels, bi-colour angel, green/cleaner wrasse are alright, with no visible wounds.
mansiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
How does a mantis shrimp looks like?
It loks like a praying mantis.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to Jerry Adams
Might be a pistol shrimp.
Jerry Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
Will pistol shrimp kill my fishes or tube worms/feather duster in my tank? What do they eat? I have found one of my feather duster misteriously lost. But I got the fishes for so long, and none of they seems to be killed, even if there are dead fishes, they are whole piece.

mansiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com