wolfiemom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copepod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Forgot to add in previous post....what is the general thinking now on the bio-wheel on my Emporor 280? Should I get rid of it and add something else? The DSB I added several months ago is really working...my nitrites are 0...at least on my test kit...I change about 4 gallons every week at least and keep water ready at all times after losing all from storms a couple of times. Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement top for this ancient 35 gallon hex?? It only holds 1 lonely bulb which is an actinic 15 watt. I'm afraid to put in anything stronger as it might melt the plastic.

Curly

Biowheels are generally frowned upon in the SW hobby, so you should have no issues removing it. Monitor your parameters though when you do, as the biowheels tend to house a large amount of bacteria that is converting your waste for you, and removing it *may* cause a small mini-cycle to occur.

As for the top, most recommend running open top on their tanks. This allows for adequate gas exchanges to take place and help to keep the pH in your tank at stable levels. I'd recommend finding a way to support your lighting and getting rid of the enclosed top.

I use one for my eel tank. They are OK for using GAC and added water flow but as mentioned above they can be a problem. IMO the ultimate filtration is a skimmer, Fuge and LR and LS. I have all that on my reef tank but not on my eel tank .

My only problem is this is an unmobile home, and they say humidity is really bad for it...I used to have dozens of hugh tropical plants in here...but the humidity was really high..

I would have to drop the water level....I have a neon goby (said to be jumpers) and the cleaner shrimp climbs everywhere...how would I keep them in...I have heard of eggcrate but don't know what it is...I would have to leave at least the filter in to catch debris and let the trickle effect on the water wouldn't I?? Maybe I could hang a light above...that would be really neat !!!! I only worry about the amount of water for the tang as it is just a 35 and 3-4 inches of it is taken up with a DSB...would love to add sump, etc...don't quite know how...haven't learned enough yet....can't wait to get bigger tank...what is GAC?? I don't know all of the lingo yet.

Curly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom