Wondering about Puffers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering how good of a choice a puffer is for a semi aggressive/peaceful tank?

I just got my 90g up and running and was curious if the puffers are as cool as they seem. LOL

From what i read they will eat shrimp but what else would I need to know about them if I was to consider one?

Thanks everyone, this is just research nothing is written in stone. hehe.. kinda just exploring my options since stocking time is pretty much here for this tank. :-D

Look up some Toby puffers. Pearl Toby , saddled Toby I like the Papuan Toby as well. They don't get much bigger than 4-6 inches average. Yes they will eat shrimp but I am not sure the have the crushing power to eat inverts like the big puffers can but I am not sure on that.

I had a porcupine puffer for a couple years: he was really awesome. Took freeze dried or frozen krill right from my hand, would follow people around when they came up to the tank (probably thinking he'd get fed) - he did devour any smaller inverts that I tried to keep however.

Also, gotta make sure to offer them really solid stuff to chew on - much like birds need cuttle stones to prevent their beaks from overgrowing, same thing needs to be done iwht a puffer: otherwise their beak can get to the point where they can't get food in (from what I understand it IS possible to help them and manually reduce their beak...but I would not want to try it)

They do like to gnaw on stuff. Not as bad as a parrot fish (NOT reef safe IN ANY WAY...).
Has anyone ever tried to keep a parrot fish? Like box fish, puffers are toxic aren't they? I heard if a box fish dies in your tank it can have repercussions.

Anyway...too much time on my hands X-Mas eve...Merry Merry.

I plan on getting a butterfly fish, pygmy angel and wrasses...is there any conflict with those fish does anyone think?

I like the idea that they follow you around like a puppy. :)

Porcupine puffers are toxic if eaten and, from what I understand, when puffed out can also be toxic - but they're not like boxfish: they won't shred a tank if they die.

They're a fun fish with lots of personality, just need to carefully choose what to keep with it (did fine with a yellow tang and a clown fish for me).

carey said:
I plan on getting a butterfly fish, pygmy angel and wrasses...is there any conflict with those fish does anyone think?

I like the idea that they follow you around like a puppy. :)

Toby type puffer would be a good addition with those fish.if you went with the larger puffers with those fish I think the bio load may be to much for a 90 gallon with the other fishes.

I think there are a lot of people on this forum who keeps large puffers with a few other fish in 120-180g tanks. Any puffer expert would say the tank is overcrowded in the entire lifespan of the large puffer. Porcupine and dogface especially do not get enough water for themselves in these types of "community tank".

Like others have said, I highly recommend only toby type puffers and need 30g for itself. They are fun to keep and live a decade or two long if kept properly.

Back
Top Bottom