Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by AdamHorton View Post
So I suppose I'll put my reef dream off until I want to get a nano reef... maybe.

That means I guess I have a couple of questions:

RO/DI unit. I think I just want to start from zero here. What's a good unit you all can recommend that I can hook up and use easily in my home? How much waste should I expect to see per gallon of 0-TDS water I get? Should I be hooking this up to my hose out back? If not, how should I hook this up with pretty much zero knowledge of home plumbing? How often do I need to replace membranes for the RO/DI unit? Is this number in gallons produced or time?

Chaeto. I got a PM from someone on here (thank you, BTW) who can send me some chaeto. It seems the only thing I would change from my previous setup would be the lighting. Right now I have a clip-on lamp on my refugium that has just a regular light bulb socket in it. What's a good light bulb I can put in there that will actually help the chaeto out?

Biopellet Reactor. In the OP I linked a previous thread where I ended up getting a biopellet reactor. I've been using it for a few months now and my nitrates still seem to be ridiculous. I have no idea if it's helping or not, and I have no idea if I'm using it right. Maybe there's something I'm missing here?
There is not reason for you to not make your 150 a reef.. Just fix a few simple problems. check out purewaterclub.com for pictures on how to use and install a RO/DI system.. There are a few ways and all are simple. I believe they also have recommended times for replacing the filters, and they measured by the gallons that go though it. Also, expect a lot of waste water. BTW, if no one has mentioned it, you can buy RO/DI water from you LFS, just take some buckets with you.

I seriously believe the 3 things going against you right now is a 1)a lot dead spots due to the rockwork 2)lack of flow in general and 3)overfeeding. Fix these issues and you will be good to start getting corals! Don't wait for a nano.. You would be surprised how fast you will fill up the space with corals!

I'm gonna go do a water change
aadair22 is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com