working on a new 55 gallon tank - advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, im new to the site, but not new to the hobby, well atleast when concerned with freshwater.

I am under a fairly constrained budget, so keep that in mind when making suggestions ;)

So far here is the tank setup:
standard 55 gallon glass with black trim, matching hood (came with the tank), and
a black wood stand, tetratec fp300 filter (this is the first time i have tried something other than a penguin and so far I am very pleased with it, it has an interesting feature that fills and empties an atrium like chamber resulting in a gurgling noise as well as mini waves), a seaclone skimmer with maxijet 1200 powering it (alas it was what I could afford, but since I am not interested in a full reef the LFS said it would be enough for doing fish with some corals). I have 40lbs of crushed coral and 13 lbs of live rock so far, the goal is to slowly buy up about 70lbs of live rock over the next month and a half (budget constraints). Basically I add a piece of live rock to the aquarium each week slowly building up the internal geometry of my tank. I need suggestions on what else to buy, I am thinking about investing in better lighting and an extra pump to place in the lower corner of the tank to get movement of water in the nether regions =). Should I add more crushed coral, or add some live sand? Fish are currently not a concern since I want to build up all the rock/sand/equipment first, then make sure the tank is completely cycled.

I'm making the transition from fw as well. What type of lighting do you have right now? If it is standard fluorescent, I don't think you can do much in the way or corals without upgrading first - I think I will be going PC in the near future. So far, the best prices I have found on lighting are at petsolutions.com.

Otherwise, I would definitely get a couple maxi-jets to create some current.

Also, to save some money, you might want to consider getting some base rock and then just add in a smaller amount of live rock. Over time, the coralline algae should spread to all your rock. I think folks here are recommending about an 80/20 base rock to live rock ratio. You should be able to pick up base rock for less than $2.00 per pound.

I'm still very new to sw myself so hopefully some of the veterans will chime in here too in case I have overlooked something crucial.

I'm another FW planted person setting up a SW tank!

For live rock, you might consider www.liverocks.com
they have some pretty sweet keys rock that's colorful, and only about $2 and change per pound. The shipping cost comes back a little harsh...but they overnight ship it to your doorstep! Even considering shipping, it's a few bucks cheaper over all for me to get the keys rock..and that's what I'm doing. 30lbs for a 40gallon breeder tank...and I have 3 basic reef rocks from the LFS taht weigh in at 10lbs.

I got 2 maxi-jets for current, each is rated at 295gph, so I'm over 10x per hour with the pair. I went with the prizm deluxe skimmer (not the prizm pro...too costly). I heard bad things about seaclones leaking and not being too great. my skimmer may not be enuf for a full reef, but by the time I'm ready for that, I can afford a cpr backpack or Remora.

Now I just gotta order my bulbs and light kit...2x96 watt with Miro reflectors from ahsupply.com. builing a simple canopy is easy :)

Back
Top Bottom