Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was sitting staring into my tank after all the bright lights went out and only
Moon lights were on i noticed puffs of smoke like coming from rocks in different places in my tank .
I saw a worm come out and go back into the rock .
Are these good ?
If not will my copper band butterfly fish eat them ?
Will they do anything to my other fish or anemone ?

Its not pooping. The bristle worms release those "gases" to mate. Thats exactly whats going on if that was a bristle worm.

And no it wont harm anything and isnt at all bad for your tank. Bristleworms are one "worm" that you can have in your tank and not have to worry.

And no it wont harm anything and isnt at all bad for your tank. Bristleworms are one "worm" that you can have in your tank and not have to worry.

This wasn't a bristle worm.
I have them and they are red/white with bristles .
This looked like a earth worm coming out of my rocks.
I so have bristle worms though

Bristle worms are alright to have in your tank if you can keep them under control, unchecked they will take over and multiply like crazy in no time ( I went thru that ) , you need a banded coral shrimp or 2 ( depending on the size of your tank ) to keep them in check. You can get a clean up crew of crabs and snail that are much more entertaining usually around $25 at your local reef supplier.

Thanks again .
I knew about the bristle worms since I first set up but this different worm I just noticed a few days ago .

Bristle worms are alright to have in your tank if you can keep them under control, unchecked they will take over and multiply like crazy in no time ( I went thru that ) , you need a banded coral shrimp or 2 ( depending on the size of your tank ) to keep them in check. You can get a clean up crew of crabs and snail that are much more entertaining usually around $25 at your local reef supplier.
That's not necessarily true. Bristleworm populations will rise and fall with the available food. a massive population of worms is a sure sign of overfeeding. You don't need any coral banded shrimp. You just need to feed reasonably.

In the case where there could be some food that wasn't consumed by the fish I thought having crabs , sand sifting goby and bristle worms to consume this rather then converting to excessive ammonia or nitrite ?

In the case where there could be some food that wasn't consumed by the fish I thought having crabs , sand sifting goby and bristle worms to consume this rather then converting to excessive ammonia or nitrite ?

I have been feeding once a day , usually around 4:30 -5:00 in the evening ,
Sometimes every second day ,

Yes, having worms is not a bad thing, but ultimately, when food is eaten it's not gone. It's just changed temporarily. Much of it will have to be removed by you eventually. Filtration, water changes etc.

Yes, having worms is not a bad thing, but ultimately, when food is eaten it's not gone. It's just changed temporarily. Much of it will have to be removed by you eventually. Filtration, water changes etc.

If I choose not to add corals ,
And only keep the anemone can I add Angelfish?
I was thinking of a young emperor .
Or another butterfly fish .
Is this advisable knowing the tank size and the other tank mates ?

Imperator angels are not reef safe, and neither are most butterflies. I can't guarantee anything. Reef safe includes inverts, anemones... Also, they get huge. Live aquaria suggests a minimum tank sizer of 220 gallons. I would suggest against this.

Back
Top Bottom