Worms and pods and stars, oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looked into the tank the other day and noticed a really big polychaete worm sticking out of the LR, investigating an empty snail shell...this guy was pretty big, I'm guessing 2-3", the 6 line must have missed that one as he usually snaps them up right away! Kept looking and saw 2 or 3 arms of my mysterious brittle star that I only know exists because when I moved the last rock out of my 10g into the 30 the star was sitting under the rock....was 4" at the time and judging by the arms I saw it is much bigger than that now! Last thing I saw was zillions of copepods in any area of the tank with low flow and away from the light....I was very happy to see them, I'm sure the feather dusters appreciate them!

Oh, and I also have about 14 different kinds of macroalgae popping up everywhere....red stuff, purple stuff, little green umbrellas, etc etc. This SW stuff is amazing!

An issue because it indicates nutrients or an issue because it could cause other problems? I have slowly been eradicating all the Caulerpa as it was a real pain. Most of what I have now is either red or purple, looks like little kelp or "beachy" seaweed, the green types are all very small.

I'm having macroalgae problems right now with bryopsis. I think the problem is both nutrients AND the fact that it can become a huge pain. I have the bryopsis growing in some of my filtration equipment and even attaching to corals. It's nasty stuff. Most of the other slower growing macros I wouldn't worry about.

It's cool that you found all that other neat stuff though. I love looking in my tank and just finding stuff!

I'm having macroalgae problems right now with bryopsis

Does anyone have a good link to a list/pics of common aquarium macroalgaes? All my refs are for temperate water and don't have the tropical species.

Back
Top Bottom