Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Never say never, Redundency,Redundency,Redundency,Redundency, I'd defer to Kevins sugestion. Or get like ten check valves, ROFLMAO 8O

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
So lets say that we decided to run the tubing to the top of the tank. Then what? Would i put an elbow at the end to direct the water to the overflow, or whichever direction i decided?

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
It doesn't have to point in any particular direction. just that it is only slightly below the water line.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:16 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I would probably say you wouldn't want to point it right at the overflow. Just for the sake that a good portion of your water from the return will then flow right back across the top of the tank and into the overflow again, you'd be losing a lot of efficiency in your sump by recycling the same water over and over. If it were my tank I would probably point it at the front of the tank (going by your picture) this would hopefuly create a good over all flow in the tank without creating too much turbulance IMO. of course that all depends on the flow rate of that pump.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea I forgot to mention that.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with BillyZ's assesment, I might even put a 45* elbow on to direct the return water downward. But I would have it near the surface so you would not drain too far down, if the check valve fails.

I am not aware of any structural problems it might cause, but I would be concerned with power outage, even with a generator, sometimes power stays out for more than a few hours and generators fail. Say you never lost power though, the pump needs to be turned off from time to time regularly for routine maintenance. Fact is, Murphy and his law is in effect in reef keeping. If it can, it will, and you should plan on what can happen, not on what is likely to happen, IMO.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:13 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Routine pump maintenance is one thing to think about, so is pump failure (burn out). In either case you will end up with a flood on your floor.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I noticed in the begining of your post (150gal with 1150gph pump) is that correct.
If so you do not want to restrict your pump. You should be moving at least 10 time your water volume per hour. If you are not than I would recomend changing you draining systems. Water movement is key to success.

Tags
motor, oto, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com