Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
Worried About Burning out my Pump Motor

In my 150g SW tank we've got a 1150 gph pump which is only running at about 50-60% water flow. What i mean by that is we have a stop valve that is 40-50% closed. This is so that the water in the filter doesn't drain too fast and drop below the bulkhead level.

What i'm worried about is that i might burn out the filter by restricting the waterflow and the backflow. Pumps are expensive and we can't afford to burn this one out.

Any suggestions?

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this stop valve inbetween the sump bulkhead and the pump or the pump and the return tubing?

I was told never restrict flow TO the pump...only between the pump and its destination... see my site for a further explanation:

http://www.marks-aquaticlife.com/setup3.html

Old 05-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
This is so that the water in the filter doesn't drain too fast and drop below the bulkhead level.

The same amount of water that is pumped to the tank...is returned to the filter. If the pump is outrunning your overflow, then you have no choice but to restrict the flow (as pretty fishies said, after the pump, not before). If your overflow is capable of keeping up with the pump, then fill the sump with water, turn on the pump and let her rip. Make sure that you have a small hole drilled in the return line (inside the tank) at water level or just below so it will break siphon when the power goes out.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is how the water goes: tank overflow box filter pump reverse flow valve stop valve(partially closed at the moment) tank back to overflow box.

This is my thinking, correct me if i'm wrong: If i add more water then it will overflow faster then i could open the valve more so more water would be pumped.

I think that makes sense.

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
Old 05-15-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not sure I follow you.
1) I would remove the check valve, they have a habit of failing the anti siphon hole will do the same thing.
2) There is a set amount of water, but some will drain from the tank to the sump when the pump is not running, this causes the water level in the sump to rise, and then fall when the pump is turned back on. Once the level in the tank rises to it's normal operating level, the water in the sump will remain constant.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

The return flow in the tank only goes about 4 inches into the tank. I think that would effectly rule out the hole in the return option. If you look closely at the picture of the tank we just have a little piece of pvc in the tank coming about 4 inches out of the return bulkhead. That pushes the water to the top and keeps out the sand, or did originally when we were setting up the tank.

-Dan

Old 05-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I have circled a piece of your pic of your tank. If this is what I think it is, you better pray that check valve never fails. Is this your return pipe??

Old 05-15-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If it is, consider either, capping it and running a return up the back outside of the tank, back into the tank, or another option that might work is illustrated in the next pic. extend what you have so that it comes to the top of the tank, I couldn't show you cause of the canopy, but for the sake of argument the black line would be the water line in the tank.

Old 05-15-2003, 09:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
I notice an overflow box on the left. Does the overflow box, inside, have 2 holes? One would be for the return and the other for the overflow.
Can the pvc pipe on the left be capped off?

Wow never seen a set up like this as illustrated in the picture. Looks like it waiting for diaster to happen. What reefrunner is saying would be your best option, unless We know more about your overflow "inside information".
Old 05-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The overflow box is inside the tank, and is just that, a box. There are little slits at water level which the water runs through. They are about a quarter inch wide about every half inch. They are about an inch tall. The water flows down this box, through a bulkhead in the bottom and drains into the filter.

Yes that little circled piece of pvc is the return. That pvc is connected directly to the bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. We could easily put more pvc in there and run it up to the top of the tank (who knew you could only buy 10 feet of pvc at a time!). We've even got that tall piece of coral which probably was used for that exact purpose.

Quote:
Looks like it waiting for diaster to happen
Why? I don't live in the boonies where the electricity goes out all the time. I love in a big apartment building where even if the entire city of boston lost electricity, my building has got generators to last a couple hours. Let me tell you though that the chances of an entire city losing power(barring god coming down from heaven to smite me) is pretty slim.

If its a structural reason, then thats different.

-Dan

Tags
motor, oto, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com