Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You have the two most experienced reefers here giving you advice. Id really suggest you take it. I have never seen gregcoyote or Mr. X steer anyone wrong here.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I think the issue is you want to add a third? tang to your 180. The Naso tang gets very big as does the hippo. BY adding a third that can get 8" or so you are asking for trouble. I know you will do what you want, but at the end of the day, you wouldn't get three Great Dane's in a studio apartment, would you?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Worried about purple tang

If you had smaller tangs I'd say it would be ok but like breakthe cycle says you have two tangs that will be over one foot long when grown. I personally wouldn't risk a $200 fish in a system with two established tangs. Like mr. X said while it is a big tank in our eyes, it is a short race track for these fish with only so many places they can escape aggression.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what fish should I get
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just a suggestion(probably wont work) but maybe a harlequin tusk?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would put 3 tangs in a 180, but as I said, I would want them small to start with, and even then I would do this knowing in the back of my mind that some day I will have to find homes for them. This isn't like fresh water where you can have 3 or 4 adult oscars in a 180 with no problem. These fish will feel the confinement eventually. If you want a purple tang, wait for a smaller one IMO.
Also, powder blues tend to be quite aggressive. Just a FYI.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I would put 3 tangs in a 180, but as I said, I would want them small to start with, and even then I would do this knowing in the back of my mind that some day I will have to find homes for them. This isn't like fresh water where you can have 3 or 4 adult oscars in a 180 with no problem. These fish will feel the confinement eventually. If you want a purple tang, wait for a smaller one IMO.
Also, powder blues tend to be quite aggressive. Just a FYI.

+1 it's no fun giving this advice because everyone loves tangs. They can be kept very happy and fat, with never a sign of ICH, for years and years. No sterilizers. It's the difference in housing a fish or letting it prosper. But I've been tang police long enough. I can only leave the advice that if you really want to have a good home for these fish, just get a long tank with lots of racing around and hiding room. It makes a huge difference.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
+1 it's no fun giving this advice because everyone loves tangs. They can be kept very happy and fat, with never a sign of ICH, for years and years. No sterilizers. It's the difference in housing a fish or letting it prosper. But I've been tang police long enough. I can only leave the advice that if you really want to have a good home for these fish, just get a long tank with lots of racing around and hiding room. It makes a huge difference.

Just one addition. I knew 22 years ago I wanted tangs after a long struggle with them. I only had enough room and $$ to build about 300 gallons initially. As the tank was fairly deep, I ended up with not as much lateral area as I wanted for tangs. So I bent it around a corner. That way, a fish can't really see the other end of the tank. It also means the fish can stay out of direct eyeshot from another fish for much of the time. I turns out to have been useful as the tangs are always calm, lazy and fat. Fish whispering? Think like a fish.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

They do have a 2" purple tang at the LFS also... It's $179

Tags
purple, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com