Worst article ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, most of it is true. I believe we just suggest different ways.
For example, you can skip the cycle if you use ENOUGH LR/sand from an established (how much, I don't know) tank or products that have the bacteria. However, I use the shrimp, since most folks here have doe it this way and have had success and can offer personal experience/knowledge.
2. There are many ways to reduce nitrAtes, BUT, those products will not replenish the trace elements that are introduced with PWCs.
3. I'm not sure about the reff temps, but from my experience in SCUBA, a lot of the corals we keep are in relative shallow water, where the temps tend to be higher.
4. I agree, most fish/corals are sensitive to nitrAtes, a few species may be more so than others, but I would guess, as a general rule, nitrAtes are bad.
5. Massive PWCs can be somewhat harmful if you don't premix your water. If you just mix the water and replace it, you could cause stress. You want to try to match your main's parameters as closely as possible, like temp/salinity and pH.
6. I have read that they are aggressive toward other shrimp, that come into their territory. (I have no experience in owning them, but have read from other's posts).
7. I think we know the answer to this one....
8. As stated in the article, if not cleaned regularly they can produce nitrAtes. We just suggest replacing them with LR rubble, for better filtration and as a precaution, as not all folks are as diligent in the upkeep of their tanks....
I hope this makes more sense, as the article is point on, we just use caution and try to make itt easier, in the long run.
Here is an example
A. "Why are my nitrAtes out of control?"
B. "Do you have bioballs/wheel or sponges in your tank?"
A. "Yes, I have bioballs in my filter."
B. "Have you cleaned them in your old SW?"
A. "No, should I?"
B. "Definitely, they tend to become nitrAte factories."

Does this make sense?

I think that is a pretty good article. In this hobby, there are several ways to "skin a cat", so to speak. While I do not advocate that all of the info in the link is good info, it is laced with truth. As with many hobbies, aquariums continue to evolve. As new research comes forward, we find better ways to maintain our tanks. There is certainly a big difference between the "old school" way of doing things and what we advocate here. For me personally, I try to do what is best for my tank as well as what is easier for me (come on...don't we all). You can certainly keep a successful SW tank using CC subsrate, an UGF and and a HOB filter or true wet/dry. This will require a bit more work on the part of the hobbiest in terms of water changes and tank maintenance. I prefer to stack the odds in my favor and us more updated methods to ensure a healthily tank with a little work from me.

Back
Top Bottom