Worst case of cyano ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess we will never know JP.
I have never dealt with cyano. Is the only way it can be introduced by water that is not filtered?

No, cyano is caused by to many nutrients in the water. Just like algae only, more like algae on steroids. :D

I know it feeds on excess nutrients, but I thought it had to be introduced to the system by tap water etc. When I wash my hands before working in my tank I always try to make a point to dry my hands really well just for that reason.

Well, I could be wrong but I don't think it needs to be introduced. There only needs to be a food source.

Well, blue-green algae is everywhere, it is carried in the air and that is why this singled cell organism is one of or maybe THE most succsessful living organism, in fact life in the planet comes from blue-green algea. Everyones tank has cyano but excess nutrients triggers it off.

hcuellart, that is exactly right. Cyanobacteria is literally every... look at that water you are about to drink, there is cyanobacteria in it! Its not just excess nutrients though, bad lighting can do it too.

Thanks guys. That's what I trying to say. It's already there and just needs a fuel source to grow. It's not introduced, it just..... is.

Fluff said:
it just..... is.

Aquarium hobbiests are not shallow...this is deep, really deep. Imagine the philosophical discussions we could be having!

Heck it went for $52. The tank alone is well worht that price.

No, I'm not the seller :lol:

I actually received a email back from the seller ... He asked me why if I wasn't bidding why I cared what the tank looked like, he told me that he didn't have time for the tank anymore and just wanted to get rid of it!

I replied and apologized for coming across snide if I did, and told him that even covered in Cyano as it is ... it was well worth $50!

Back
Top Bottom