Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

since this hobby is so expensive I did alot of reading bought a lot of books, went in the internet and did a reserch on everthing I needed, I bought everting of good quality since it is for long use. Today its been a year no problems with fish since I new which went together,all my corals are very nice and everthing is going fine, when I have any problem I just get advice here with my friends. And my 72 gal. tank always looks great

Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

i thank u guys here at AA because if ir wasn't for all the advise here i wouldn't know a thing. I looked at post here for about two months then i decided to start my 20 gl. i have had it up and running for months now and nothing gone bad yet,but my luck everthing will all go wrong at once. i think the only mistake i made was i went with cc because the lfs didn't have any ls. So i guess i just want to say thanks to all here at AA.com u guys aand gals are great..

Old 05-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a hobby one can grow and learn continuously. Even with years of SW experience I still reach out for information as things change over time, and someone always has a better idea. Everyone here is polite and courteous and willing to help anyone regardless of circumstances.
If it wasn't for a site like AA, many people would end up leaving the hobby due to frustration and sorrow.

Mike
Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 29 gal with a porcupine puffer and an anemone with basic NO lighting!! This was in college as well. I have learned the error in those ways

I will say that it is not as complicated as some make it. After getting everything straightened out, I ran a 38 gal with 2 fish, undergravel filter, Emperor 280 and NO skimmer for 7+ years. I did water changes every month or so. My bioload was light though. Really depends on what you are doing.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
I'm still hosed by starting my system with tap water.

If I only was just 1 day more patient

BUT, things are coming around great
Old 05-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watching someone fail and cause the death of several fish before taking care of my own would definitely fall as my only worst experience.

I've got a heavy bioload; just added my first (three pieces) of coral, and a large green carpet anemone. My stuff is doing great. Coming up on 5 months.

My fuge, filtration, liverock, uv sterilizer.. my protien skimmer hasn't picked up much with all the filtration. I also knew well enough to pickup 7-cycle purified water.

Woot.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Everyone here is polite and courteous and willing to help anyone regardless of circumstances.
Mike,

I agree that is one of the things I love the most about this web site. There was another site that I found before this one. I was pretty discouraged. If you didn't have 5 or watts per gallon you got spamed pretty hard. They were so rude. I was beginning to think I was doomed. I only asked questions when I was desperate. Most the responses were pretty rude. I love the fact that everyone here is so considerate. I love this site. I don't know where I'd be without it. I really don't.

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm still hosed by starting my system with tap water
Is your tap water really bad or something? Some tap water wis just fine. I ran my FO tank with tap water for years. When I started my reef tank I got cyano real bad so I switched to RO/DI water. I have used tap in a pinch though.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

My worst experience would have to be last Christmas morning when we came doen the stairs excited to see what Santa had brought, only to see that about 5 gallons of water had leaked out of the canister filter onto the carpeted floor and into the basement.

Man did that suck.

Next worst experience is the ongoing battle with hair algae that is driving me bananas and making me want to quit altogether.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My single worst experience was dumping 1/2 a can of sinking pellet into a running system that quickly distributed all of the pellet in, under and between rocks. My ammo hit the roof (and then some). A series of 50-80% water changes was necessary in order to bring our system back into line with reality! It was a tough couple of weeks getting our water quality back under control. Thankfully I haven't been so stupid since then!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com