Would a freshwater dip help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redBernadino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daisy coral is starting to develop brown jelly, and my lfs told me that I could administer a freshwater dip, and save what's left of the coral. I would hate to lose it, but I am not too sure on how to or IF I should do a freshwater dip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA :lol:

If you can remove the portion of the coral that has teh jelly on it you may be able to save the currently unaffected portions. First try to syphon the jelly off the coral. Try to minimize the amount of jelly that gets into the water. Then remove the affected branches by breaking them off.

Brown jelly spreads very fast and if not taken action right away its very possible to lose an entire coral in 24hours.

In addition, I would also suggest several water changes with well aged/aerated SW over the net few days. Reducing any organics within the tank will help stave off the bacteria. If available I would also add a liquid marine vitamin to the tank. Zoe, Vita-chem or the like (non [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] formulations). Use twice the recommended dosage and be sure you remove any sorbant media like carbon. The vitamin C will help the coral fight the problem. A FW dip will most likely cause more stress than anything.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good... So would a normal turkey baster do the job? And I just started using carbon yesterday because the water has got a bit of a yellow tint to it. Should I stop using it for a few days, siphon off as much of the jelly as I can, and treat with the marine vitamin?

redBernadino said:
Sounds good... So would a normal turkey baster do the job?
As long as you can use it to suck the jelly out, yes. You need to be careful not to spread it as it will affect healthy corals given the chance. Small air hose tubing is the easiest method.

Should I stop using it for a few days, siphon off as much of the jelly as I can, and treat with the marine vitamin?
That's the best solution. Just rinse the carbon in RO water once you remove it and position it so it can dry. That way it can be re-used later. Syphon the jelly off, do a water change and add the vitamin. Keep doing a few water changes over the next week and add the vitamin at the regular dose.

After a week or so you should be able to place the carbon back in. The water changes should have done a decent job of clearing up the water.

How are you nitrates?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom