Would a Peppermint Shrimp crawl out of a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a Peppermint Shrimp about a week and a half ago. It was about 1.5 inches long, nice looking Shrimp that was acting normal in the LFS. Drip acclimated it for about 90 minutes and put it in the tank. I saw it for one day, running around the tank eating stuff on the LR and doing shrimpy things. The next day, POOF, it was gone. I figured it was hiding. Well, it never came back, and I have not been able to find even a single piece of the shrimp anywhere in my tank. I searched the tank every night for a week looking for the Shrimp or a piece of the Shrimpo getting eaten, no luck. Either it died and got 100% eaten in the span of one day, another invert hid the dead body, or it crawled out of the tank? The Shrimp was bigger than my Emerald Crab btw...

Doubt it. Mine never seems to leave the rock work. I did loose one a while back, but that was before I caught my Mantis. I always figured the Mantis got him.
Maybe you have an unwanted hitchhiker?

Possibly the emerald crab got it or finished off (with the help of the hermits) the carcass. Never heard of a pep leaving a tank before.

I had 2 Pepperment shrimp that disappeared the day after I got them. I had had my LR for 3 months and never knew I had a rock crab that had been hiding in the middle of my LR. That was the last shrimp meal out of my tank he got.

I just had two molts recently and now I'm missing a shrimp....... maybe one of them wasn't a molt.... :)

On a lighter note.... I found my first sallylightfoot molt today.... looks just like the crab.... just missing eyes.....

my peperment shrimp loves to swim up to the top of the tank at night but hes never gotten out.
i have heard of them being eaten by aptaisa though. do you have any in your tank

My peppermint disappeared the same way. I found a claw a few days later quite by accident..it appears someone ate my shrimp. Just a thought. Even my snails haven't crawled out.

foma2000 said:
i have heard of them being eaten by aptaisa though.

I think it's the other way around :wink:

Sometimes things die and are consumed in a day. It really sucks to spend the money on livestock and not have it around long enough to enjoy it.

Just picked up my 1st peppermint shrimp last night. Could not get Joes juice locally. So far he hangs out under my rock or walking around behind it all.

i had lost a pep shrimp as well searched and searched didn't find it. well cleaning behind the tank one day guess where it was. i found it on the floor curled up dead of course. the other one was eaten by an umbrella mushroom . maybe should not have been together but i saw it's little feeler thing sticking out of it

I was planning to buy a Cleaner Shrimp in a few weeks, but before spending $30 on that I am going to have to try another Peppermint Shrimp and see if it stays alive. I checked my new rocks over fairly well for hitchhikers, but you never know what could be tucked away in there. No other inverts in my tank have gone missing but I will keep an eye on it.

The Emerald Crab woudl have been strong enough to kill the Shrimp if it wanted too. It drew blood from the person at the LFS when I bought it :D Fortunately the Crab plays nicely with my new fish...

Back
Top Bottom