Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would a Peppermint Shrimp crawl out of a tank?

I bought a Peppermint Shrimp about a week and a half ago. It was about 1.5 inches long, nice looking Shrimp that was acting normal in the LFS. Drip acclimated it for about 90 minutes and put it in the tank. I saw it for one day, running around the tank eating stuff on the LR and doing shrimpy things. The next day, POOF, it was gone. I figured it was hiding. Well, it never came back, and I have not been able to find even a single piece of the shrimp anywhere in my tank. I searched the tank every night for a week looking for the Shrimp or a piece of the Shrimpo getting eaten, no luck. Either it died and got 100% eaten in the span of one day, another invert hid the dead body, or it crawled out of the tank? The Shrimp was bigger than my Emerald Crab btw...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Doubt it. Mine never seems to leave the rock work. I did loose one a while back, but that was before I caught my Mantis. I always figured the Mantis got him.
Maybe you have an unwanted hitchhiker?

Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Possibly the emerald crab got it or finished off (with the help of the hermits) the carcass. Never heard of a pep leaving a tank before.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ram6519
I had 2 Pepperment shrimp that disappeared the day after I got them. I had had my LR for 3 months and never knew I had a rock crab that had been hiding in the middle of my LR. That was the last shrimp meal out of my tank he got.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just had two molts recently and now I'm missing a shrimp....... maybe one of them wasn't a molt....

On a lighter note.... I found my first sallylightfoot molt today.... looks just like the crab.... just missing eyes.....
Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
my peperment shrimp loves to swim up to the top of the tank at night but hes never gotten out.
i have heard of them being eaten by aptaisa though. do you have any in your tank
Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
My peppermint disappeared the same way. I found a claw a few days later quite by accident..it appears someone ate my shrimp. Just a thought. Even my snails haven't crawled out.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma2000
i have heard of them being eaten by aptaisa though.

I think it's the other way around

Sometimes things die and are consumed in a day. It really sucks to spend the money on livestock and not have it around long enough to enjoy it.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just picked up my 1st peppermint shrimp last night. Could not get Joes juice locally. So far he hangs out under my rock or walking around behind it all.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

i had lost a pep shrimp as well searched and searched didn't find it. well cleaning behind the tank one day guess where it was. i found it on the floor curled up dead of course. the other one was eaten by an umbrella mushroom . maybe should not have been together but i saw it's little feeler thing sticking out of it

Tags
pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com