Would fan worms be safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Volitan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wanting to add some Featherduaters to my 75g.
I've heard stories of them being hurt/eaten by Urchins (I'm also planing to get a Longspine Urchin), but I'm not sure if the stories are true. Would a few Featherdusters get along with a Longspine?

This may also be important info -
Also in the tank: 10lb of live rock (will add more), a Russell's Lionfish, a Yellow Tang, a Koran Angel (don't worry, it's just a juvenile, and will move tanks later) and a few cleaner hermits/snails.

Any other suggestions on cool things to add are also welcome :)
Thanks!

Those longspine urchins grow very large fast. Ive seen them the size of basketballs. I wouldnt suggest puting one in a 75 unless you intend on moving it to a larger tank.

Wow!
Good to know, Thanks!

Do you think the Tang or the Angel in that tank would bother them?

I don't think those fish would bother it... I would consider buying a good deal of live rock first though. Actually in your case, I'd buy dry rock (in bulk). Build it up and in a few weeks (possibly more) you'll have enough bacteria to handle the bio load. What do you have for additional filtration?
The urchin eats algae (coraline and etc), they can be fed waffers I'm told but I wouldn't know how much and how often.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, right now I've got one of the fancy new canisters (with the IV sanitizer), that my LFS said was "overkill for a 120 gallon" so it should be plenty for my 75.

What type of dry rock would you suggest?
My LFS has lava rock, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for.
O

I don't have much experience with canisters (I use a sump and live rock primarily). But bigger is always better for filtration.
This is what I was referring to http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-dry-live-rock-live-sand/bulk-dry-live-rock.html
The good thing with this stuff it's price although you will have to wait for the bacteria to spread and seed the rock... Again the more the better.
I have a 56 gallon tank and about 90# of live rock or so

Yeah, it will be stark white but over time will change color and darken up like the expensive stuff... It just takes a long time

Alright.
I'll probably get a bunch of that stuff.
Could I also use the red lava rock at my LFS? (I really like the color)

I do not know about the lava rock. I would think you could but hopefully someone else will post with more knowledge on that.

Back
Top Bottom