Would this Light Work for Chaeto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etcool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking for a small light to put over a small HoB refugium that will be going on my nano. I plan to just keep some Chaeto in there with some live rock rubble. I found a 36 LED light from AQUATOP that says you can select between green, red, blue, and daylight. My question is on how well this will really work for macro. I can’t seem to find kelvin anywhere or a lumen output. I am thinking that the daylight with the reds would be good for Chaeto, but plz let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help! :)

AQUATOP 36 LED Clip-On Light

probably, but it seems like a lot of money to keep algae alive. i use a 6 dollar clip on fixture from home depot and a curly-Q energy saver bulb. most of the bulbs for household use have plenty of red in them.

I kept a 2300k halogen bulb on my fuge.... Well long story short it dis not do so well. So I currently have a 6500k cfl bulb. It was like $10. So far so good

i've also read that corals grow best in 6500k lighting so i na fuge when you're trying to nurse corals back you can always use a high powered PC with 6500k planted FW bulbs

This is kind of a side thought... I have heard that corals such a Xenia and feather dusters are great at filter feeding... Would it be beneficial to have a section of a sump filled with such corals? I thought in the future when I upgrade my sump from a 10gal to a 20 long I might include a section

if you are going to keep xenia, i would say it's best to have it in the refugium. otherwise it overgrows everything in the dt and is a PITA to keep controlled.
feather dusters don't filter enough to be worth while.
i also recommend 6500k lamps for algae. i learned from hydroponics websites that it's ideal, however, i've grown macros under assorted lighting, so i would say they will grow under any full spectrum lamp.

if i was trying to nurse back a coral, i would want it under my best lighting, not some plant bulb in the refugium.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm def thinking on putting some Xenia in the fuge. I'm also thinking on maybe connecting a frag tank to my sump then to the dt.

Thanks for all of your input. I already have a clip on light from home depot with a 6500k CFL and I originally planned on using that. The only problem is that behind my tank you can see lampshade from all angles because it is a HoB refugium. Any ideas on a small 6500k light that I could use?

You could get a clip on flex one. They sell them for desk tops. That is what I use. They are pretty small.

i would just get a piece of sheet metal and bend it to make a canopy of sorts over the HOB fuge. easily and cheaply solve that problem, and will even help with reflecting light.

Back
Top Bottom