Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow!

I've had a tank bred ocellaris and rose bulb anemone for a long time now, and the clown has never even given the anemone a second look. Fair enough, right? I didn't expect there to be any interaction since the clown is tank bred and false percs aren't even known to host rba's anyway.

Well, as I was changing my carbon today.. I noticed my sixline wrasse was quite frisky.. he was chasing the little clownfish around all over the tank.. annoyed by this I tried to intervene a few times but gave up when it made no difference. I thought if it kept up I could always return the sixline since it's a bit too aggressive for my liking anyway. So I started looking for my net just incase.. couldn't find it.. looked back at the tank and couldn't see the clownfish anywhere.. Uh oh.. I looked around inside and outside under the stand... nothing... So then I notice the sixline is circling the anemone.. weird I thought.. looked a bit closer and what do I see but my little clownfish is wiggling around inside it!!!

You can imagine my reaction... I'm the guy that went running through the neighborhood screaming when I saw my first feather duster pop out of a rock.

I guess it all fits in with nature perfectly... the only reason for clownfish to go into anemones is for protection. It felt safe until now and then first sign of trouble.. in it goes... I can't tell you how thrilling it is if you haven't experienced this.

Anyway, my other main reason for posting is that the sixline was not at all happy about this whole situation and continued trying to get the clownfish even in the anemone... so predictably the silly fish ended up getting stung right on the mouth.. how bad is this? and is there anything I should/can do? It is still swimming around but obviously affected by the sting... I'm hoping it's just mild irritation and will go away by itself.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I remember when my clown first went into the anemone, it was awesome! I can watch that all day long. Congrats!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome Atari. Congrats. I don't know about the sting. I thought rba stings weren't supposed to be that bad though. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys... sure enough the sixline appears to be back to normal so I guess the sting really is quite mild.

I can't seem to take my eyes off the clown and anemone though, lol.. it's really quite mesmerizing. Something strange though, it seems to stay perfectly still every now and again and on closer inspection appears to be suckling on the tentacles.. wonder why it does that?

I really need a digital camera!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya the suckling is normal, at least I think. Mine does it.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I think that's pretty typical. My first clown used to do that to an sebea and my current clowns do it to my open brain coral. Don't know why they do it though.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

good for you. I was sooo excited to when my true percs tok to my Rose BTA. Got pics?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
steve-s

Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Anyway, my other main reason for posting is that the sixline was not at all happy about this whole situation and continued trying to get the clownfish even in the anemone... so predictably the silly fish ended up getting stung right on the mouth.. how bad is this? and is there anything I should/can do? It is still swimming around but obviously affected by the sting... I'm hoping it's just mild irritation and will go away by itself.
Nothing you can do except wait it out. The wrasse will not likely be able to eat for a few days either so don't be bothered by that yet. Luckily it was a BTA and not one of the other hosting species of anemone. Your wrasse would be imitating a "U".

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-03-2004, 09:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Your wrasse would be imitating a "U".
8O Glad I chose the BTA then, lol.

At least it's learned its lesson and is steering well clear of the anemone now I saw it going for a pod earlier, but I guess its mouth is still numb or something because it just couldn't grab it.. poor fella.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awsome!!
I don't agree with the idea that tank bred ocellaris will not be hosted by an anemone, it's instict. I'm not sure but I would think it would take a very long time of breeding clown fishes to have that instinct removed.

I've heard of others talking and seen pics about tank bred clowns who uses powerheads, heaters, mushrooms, etc as host. My ORA tank bread hosted in a patch of mushrooms. I later added a bta that my female took to within a week. They all have that instinct.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com