Wow! its been a really long time! I'm back...with a quesiton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
First...Missed everyone...The withdrawl symptoms from being away from AA were getting too much so I had to come back! Actually I had some changes at work that dont allow me on as much and Kim and I just moved into a new house. But, I am back!

Anyway...question...

I was hoping you could help me with a coral that seems to be slowly going down hill. I have had my Fox Coral for about a year now and it has over that time become somewhat shy. By that I mean it dosent open up nearly as much as it did 3 months ago. All the research that I have read says that good water quality, moderate water flow, and halide lights should be enough for it to thrive.

Tank specs:
Tank is 6 years old
Ammonia, Trites both at zero
Nitrates are only at trace levels.
Phosphates...trace amounts.
Lighting: two 175 M/H, 2 110 Actinic VHO's.

I suppliment the tank with Strontium, Iodine (2 drops loguls 3xper week), Calcium and buffer, Trace elements.

Water changes once a month. 20% (tank is a 175 with 350lbs of LR)

The coral has been at every depth over the last 6 months, always in moderate water flow. Nothing is picking on it.

Fish include: Yellow Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Lawn mower blenny, Velvet Fairy Wrass, clown gobie, Chalk Basslet, Chromis, Bangaii Cardinal, Fox Face, and assorted inverts. ( We lost a few during the move)

Other inhabitants range from leathers and mushrooms up to a few sps frags. I am aware of the chemicle warefar that tends to go on in our tanks. But its my understanding that running carbon regularly will resolve this.
What concerns me is that I have seen the same pattern in my large hammer coral and leather over the last year. These are the only three that have shown this pattern. If there is any light you can shed on the situation or referr me to someone who might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Daniel Reach

P.S. If you need more info on the tank, much of the inhabitants and stats can be found on an educational site we host.

I really cant shed any light on the problem you have w/ your coral but I just wanted to welcome back to the family.

How did the move go?

Thanks! It went well I guess. Moving the aquarium took as long as moving the 2 bedroom apt. It also cost us 600.00 to do it. But my tank is in one piece and 99% of my live stock made it.

Squishy

I think in the long run you will find it's too much light. The fox coral (Nemanzophyllia sp) actually does not like intense light. Even in a PC/VHO set up, they generally do best lower in the tank. With the MH set up you have, I would actually suggest a partially shaded area where it gets no direct light. I would also give it a few weeks to guage any change/response.

Cheers
Steve

Cool...I will definately try that. Would you guess that its the same for the hammer? I know leathers are generally low light corals.

And to think...I am considering upgrading my lighting.

SquishyFish said:
Cool...I will definately try that. Would you guess that its the same for the hammer? I know leathers are generally low light corals.
True, leathers do well in less light more than other corals but they can adapt given time. The hammer will enjoy a bit more light than the Fox but I would not place it more than about 1/3 the way up and not under a halide. I have experimented with several placements in my tanks (PC lights) with different Euphyllia and none do well placed higher in the tank. They do like a bit of water flow though. Nothing brisk, just enough to gentley move the polyps. Hows the chem and what soft corals do you have?

And to think...I am considering upgrading my lighting.
One of the challenges of mixing species. Some soft and LPS do adapt to higher lighting, some won't. If you're heading for an SPS/clam tank you may want to consider unloading some of the less light demanding corals in the process.

Cheers
Steve

Other softies....Ahh, well. Thats a long list.

Scrolling hammer
Green Bubble
Ridge Bubble
Green Brain
2 pagoda cups
Fox Coral
Green frog Spawn
Brown frow Spawn
Large finger leather
About 15 Green trumpets
Xenia
Green Stars
5-7 colonies of zoos and polyps
Red, purple, and watermellon mushrooms
Gorgonia (I was told by garf they they are very difficult to keep..they were right)
A dozen Sps frags.

I will eventually sell some of my more less light demanding corals, but not yet.

Squishy

With the amount of nematocysts the tank must have, I hope you are also running carbon (at least occasionally). You have a fair amount of aggressive LPS corals.

Cheers
Steve

Carbon runs almost constantly. The aggressive corals are out of "arms reach" of the other tank mates.

Squishy,

Why did you go with a 2x175 MH setup vs. something bigger? I have a line on a 2x250 MH setup and my 75 gal tank is all leathers and softies. I have always placed them at the top since I only have 3 watts per gal on a PC fixture. I guess a long photo acclimation period will be needed.

I went with the 2 175watts because at the time thats what I could afford and I had a 120gallon tank. I am looking at upgrading to 3 400watt m/h.

And yes...you will need a slow acclimation period

Thats cool. After reading the thread, I started worring about my softies once I pump up the light. My main goal is to promote growth not fry them up :)

Back
Top Bottom