Wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking about getting a pink streaked wrasse. It will have to be reef safe and good in a 40 gallon tank. I know that possum wrasses are good for that but im looking for something different. Any ideas? I have an ocellaris clown pair as far as other fish.

Thinking about getting a pink streaked wrasse. It will have to be reef safe and good in a 40 gallon tank. I know that possum wrasses are good for that but im looking for something different. Any ideas? I have an ocellaris clown pair as far as other fish.

I have six canary wrasses and they are model citizens. In general, wrasses are good reef dwellers and don't require a lot of room.

I have six canary wrasses and they are model citizens. In general, wrasses are good reef dwellers and don't require a lot of room.

Are those the chrysus wrasses your talking about? Are the Melanurus wrasses reef safe?? I see alot of mixed reviews.

Yes. All the wrasses pick constantly. They don't eat polyps, but if you have a sensitive coral, they may irritate it. They are great pest eaters, so I like having them.

Yea i know they are great hunters and ninjas as well. Just looking for a more likely reef compatable wrasse with alot of colors. According to liveaquaria they dont have many for a 40g. Got anymore suggestions?

Yea i know they are great hunters and ninjas as well. Just looking for a more likely reef compatable wrasse with alot of colors. According to liveaquaria they dont have many for a 40g. Got anymore suggestions?

A six line wrasse is a popular reef fish.

Get an exquisite wrasse! But look at them first. They come from different areas and certain ones are more colorful. I have one and he's always front and center, never bothers anything in my tank and eats out of my hand. I have corals and inverts and he's fine.

I'm in love with my 6-line wrasse. Favorite fish I've ever owned.

Get an exquisite wrasse! But look at them first. They come from different areas and certain ones are more colorful. I have one and he's always front and center, never bothers anything in my tank and eats out of my hand. I have corals and inverts and he's fine.

I do really like the exquisite wrasse. Im worried about a sixline wrasse being a little terror. I have plenty of time to decide. Gotta save up some dough!

I keep hearing that about 6-line wrasses but, having owned more than one, have never experienced it. They're usually outstanding community members. Maybe I just got lucky!

None of my wrasses cause trouble. And I have over a dozen.

Maybe its jusy individuallity or circumstance but my "freindly" mccoskers flasher wrasse killed 1 bicolor Blenny, 1 yellow watchmen goby, and terrorized my ocellaris clown pair. It was brutal and i seen it with my own eyes. But now im just down to my 2 clowns. I had a sixline when i first started this hobby but it only lived a few days. My tank wasnt ready at the time and i was a newb. I really like the (hoevens) melanarus wrasse if it will work for my size tank. Does anyone have any info or exp. with these?

I had a six-line that was a terror also, I think it all depends on the fish sometimes and it seems wrasse have many different personalities.

I had a six-line that was a terror also, I think it all depends on the fish sometimes and it seems wrasse have many different personalities.

I agree with that. I think it might be luck of the draw!

Well i think i have it narrowed down. I really like these from what ive read.

Melanarus Wrasse
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Six-line may still be an option..

As a guy who has nine wrasses (had 11 but had to remove two) between two 40 gallon tanks, here's my thoughts. Do not get a 6 line. They are aggressive towards other fish, particularly when added close to last. If you plan on getting another male wrasses at any point, do not get a lubocks wrasse either. All my wrasses expect two are under 2". I am upgrading one of my tanks to a 75/90 and it will house just my wrasses in a few months. You should def get one of the following:

Male Eightline flasher
Naokoa fairy Wrasse
Bonded pair of 1" girdled wrasse's
Royal flasher wrasse
Red line spot flasher wrasse

Then their is the ever popular and very hard to get diamond tail flasher wrasse. I managed to score two of these beauties.

These are what I have currently and would recommend for color, personality and movement.

As a guy who has nine wrasses (had 11 but had to remove two) between two 40 gallon tanks, here's my thoughts. Do not get a 6 line. They are aggressive towards other fish, particularly when added close to last. If you plan on getting another male wrasses at any point, do not get a lubocks wrasse either. All my wrasses expect two are under 2". I am upgrading one of my tanks to a 75/90 and it will house just my wrasses in a few months. You should def get one of the following:

Male Eightline flasher
Naokoa fairy Wrasse
Bonded pair of 1" girdled wrasse's
Royal flasher wrasse
Red line spot flasher wrasse

Then their is the ever popular and very hard to get diamond tail flasher wrasse. I managed to score two of these beauties.

These are what I have currently and would recommend for color, personality and movement.

Thanks! Not gonna get a six-line. Price if def an issue though. Im not gonna get more than 1 wrasse. I stuck between these.

Lubbocks Fairy wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Red Head solon wrasse

Im scared that the melanarus will wipe out CUC and bother corals, but i like it. Im worried that the red heaf solon wrasse may do the same and get to big for my tank. Give me some input on these! Ill look into your suggestions. Thanks

Thanks! Not gonna get a six-line. Price if def an issue though. Im not gonna get more than 1 wrasse. I stuck between these.

Lubbocks Fairy wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
Red Head solon wrasse

Im scared that the melanarus will wipe out CUC and bother corals, but i like it. Im worried that the red heaf solon wrasse may do the same and get to big for my tank. Give me some input on these! Ill look into your suggestions. Thanks

My melanarus is 4" long and VERY active. He gets along with the other fish fine and doesn't eat polyps, but he burrows between them looking for tasty worms. Some corals don't like that much. All wrasses do this. In most cases it doesn't seem to hurt.

My melanarus is 4" long and VERY active. He gets along with the other fish fine and doesn't eat polyps, but he burrows between them looking for tasty worms. Some corals don't like that much. All wrasses do this. In most cases it doesn't seem to hurt.

Ok thanks for the info. Any experience or info on the red hed solon wrasse?

Back
Top Bottom