Wrasse puberty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a juvenile Carpenter Flasher Wrasse that I got few months ago. Over the last few days I noticed that it seems to be changing color.

Has anyone seen the color change before or know how long it takes to go from orange to yellow?
Does the change happen gradually or all at once?

I tried to upload a photo (35k) but it won't attach.

TIA,

Cmor

The change is usually gradual and in captive care not always complete so you may get a variation. It can take several months or longer. This one look like a Yellowfin Flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis) :?:

Also be aware that in the absence of a female, flasher wrasses will often switch sex to the less adorned female coloration as time passes.

Cheers
Steve

Thank's Steve,
Also be aware that in the absence of a female, flasher wrasses will often switch sex
Just what I need. A single transvestite fish or two jumpers. This one already spent over a week in a corner overflow till I was able to get him out.

How do you tell teh differnece between the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri) and the Yellowfin Flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis. They seem almost identical.

Until they mature a bit more and the colors become more defined it can be a bit of a guess (even then). Your's (to me) looks more like the yellow flasher wrasse than the carpenter. I could be wrong though :wink: but the color on the dorsal fin is a much more pronounced yellow than typically found with the carpenter.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom