Wrasse question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a yellow wrasse now for about a year in my 125. Today I noticed he has a red vien looking mark on the inside of him...You can see it from one side but not from the other. I do know he get carred away in getting in the flow of the pumps and will just zoom from one end of the tank to the other so I am wondering if fish get bruised or break blookd viens. All of my water parameters are good. I have a hint of trates but nothing other than that. PH at 8.2 and temp at 80. Anyone have any ideas? Its just weird you can see it from one side of the fish but not the other.
Thanks

I believe a pseudochromis i used to have had that. It was a reddish line near his jaw and and it looked like the was also some red coloring around it. After a week or so it went away and he was fine.
HTH :)

Yeah its really strange the more I look at it. If the fish even turns at a slight angle, you cant see it. I only know to say it looks like a little vien that is burst.....when viewed on a human that is. He is fine otherwise. Really odd. Im sure Im just paranoid!!!

It is most likely a mild bacterial infection. Typically brought on by too much DOC. Even though you have a small nitrate reading, that does not preclude the possibility of DOC in the system. The easiest way to get rid of it is by doing several large water changes with well aged SW over the next week. Most often that will clear it up without the need for meds at all. Feeding vitamin soaked foods is also a good step in conjuction with the water changes.

Cheers
Steve

How much of water changes?? Its a 125. Im setting up to do a 15 gallon on Tues. Going to mix the SW tonight.
Also what vitamin brand do you recommend? I hope I dont have to medicate as I have nothing to medicate him in unless I do it in the main tank. I have my QT tank tied up with a dottieback and a regal in copper..

You should not need to medicate at all. Do a few water changes over the period of a week or so at about 25-30%. That should dilute the pollutants enough and not stress any inhabitants. Recommended vitamins are ones high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] and vitamin C. Selcon or Zoecon would be good choices.

In the off chance this is a result of pH fluctuations as it can sometimes be, the water changes will also take care of that. You should notice a difference rather quickly.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I will do a couple of 15 gallon water changes and see if this helps. i was due for one anyway.
Thanks for the info. Will keep you posted.

15 gal won't make that much of a dent in a 125. I would suggest a minimum of 25 gal, upward of 40 for each water change.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
I dont have the capability to do 25+. Can I do back to back water changes of 15 gallons....say 15 on Tues and 15 on Thurs?? Will this do any good? I have a 15 gallon rubbermaid trash can...Sorry so many questions.
The wrasse spot is a little more prodiment today....I did see him come really close to whacking himself on a peice of LR...he gets real skiddish and when he is frightend, he goes nuts...he has always done this as long as I can remember.
Thanks

Can't you get another container and store the first 15 gal till the second batch is ready?

Well heres another delimma...I have heard that you are not to let the SW sit for more than 24-48 hours. Its to late to go tonight and get a trashcan..BUT I hear others say to use "well age" SW...which is it??
Also I have 2 powerheads but both are small...I guess I could use one for each..would this be ok?
I have never changed more than 10-15 gallons.....Im a little uneasy as well about doing this...I just do as I would do on a 15 gallon change right??
Thanks

I think you'll be fine.. it's no different to what you're used to already, just keep the powerheads going until you do the change, and make sure the pH still matches that of the tank. ( temp and sg too obviously but you knew that already )

fishman said:
I dont have the capability to do 25+. Can I do back to back water changes of 15 gallons....say 15 on Tues and 15 on Thurs?? Will this do any good? I have a 15 gallon rubbermaid trash can
That would be a good start but you may need to do the same again next week so be prepared. I would also suggest getting one or two more rubbermaid tubs. Even if you just put them in the closet and they never get used, it's better than having the need and not being able to do anything about it.

The wrasse spot is a little more prodiment today....I did see him come really close to whacking himself on a peice of LR...he gets real skiddish and when he is frightend, he goes nuts...he has always done this as long as I can remember.
The red mark could continue to get larger until you start with the water changes. If it keeps injuring the same area it may make it worse still. As far as the skiddishness, it is common especially in newer additions. Get in the habit of being mindful of your speed when you approach or pass the tank. Walk upto or past the tank with an easy gait. Once the wrasse or any future fish for that matter recognize you as non-threatening, the behaviour will diminish greatly. Most never comeplety get used to it though.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry, didn't see page two :oops:

fishman said:
Well heres another delimma...I have heard that you are not to let the SW sit for more than 24-48 hours.
Atari has you on the right track. Not sure who told you that but it's hogwash. I keep SW for weeks at a time before I use it. All it ever needs is a good aeration uncovered (for pH) and a salinity check/adjustment before use.

Cheers
Steve

Well Im glad I brought out this question then. I was told that if you dont use the SW in a couple days of making it, the PH and balance of the water will deteriate. Thats awesome!! I will start making more tonight and do a water change soon!!
One last question...can I put a lid on the trashcan I use to keep airborne matter out of the water? You said to make sure its aerated...just checking.
Thanks

fishman said:
I was told that if you dont use the SW in a couple days of making it, the PH and balance of the water will deteriate.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. The only thing that could be a concern is salinity which is easily fixed. pH can definately be affected if stored with a tight fitting lid. The affect are shortlived though. As soon as the water is aerated, the pH will typically rebound. The balance in the water cannot be altered if you are refering to the alk/Ca relationship. Except for a possible supressed pH, there is nothing utilizing either so no way for there to be an imbalance unless it was there in the first place.

One last question...can I put a lid on the trashcan I use to keep airborne matter out of the water? You said to make sure its aerated...just checking.
Yes. I use 5 gal buckets with lids. Just be absolutely sure the water is well aerated and pH, salinity and temp are optimum before use.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
Just fyi....I came home to find my wrasse almost back to normal as far as the spot...its almost faded away. Im still going to do a water change and add some vitamin C that I picked up today. Man by the time I get done and buy all of the things I need to buy to keep these little critters alive, I will be broke!! this stuff is EXPENSIVE!!
Thanks for the info again!

Good stuff!! Looks like you have quite the healthy fish otherwise. Definately continue as planned, you need to make sure it does not come back :wink:

As far as the cost goes, most of it is in the start up. Believe it or not, once you accumulate most of what you need to maintain the tank, it is relatively inexspensive to keep running. Then all you have to worry about is the "wants"... LOL :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom