Wrasse? Whaere are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a wrasse a three days ago and can't find him in the tank anywhere! He is white with black stripes and has light blue fins and is about 4 inches long. How long do and can they go in hiding?

Wrasses are usually jumpers so i would check the floor and and other place he could have jumped.

But yes some will bury in the sand to sleep. Also some like to hide for days at a time for no apparent reason, just when u think he died somehow or got eaten the next morning you wake up and hes swimming around lol

Also check and small rocks clusters etc I was told mine would bury himself so I bought the crushed coral but apparently mines and idiot... And prefers to sleep in a particular cluster of little pieces of live rock -_-'

Well he is about 4 inches long ( one of my biggest fish).

Dont worry! I bought a red lined wrasse about 4 months ago.. I got him home, acclimated him, got him out of the bag and by the time i turned around to throw the bag away, he was gone. Didn't see him for about 3 days, and then for the first 3-4 weeks I almost never saw him.. he would come out for maybe 3 or 4 hours and then be gone, now though he is out all the time.. Goes and hides around 7:00pm and is out and about by 8:00am.

Give him some time and he will adjust

aadair22 said:
Dont worry! I bought a red lined wrasse about 4 months ago.. I got him home, acclimated him, got him out of the bag and by the time i turned around to throw the bag away, he was gone. Didn't see him for about 3 days, and then for the first 3-4 weeks I almost never saw him.. he would come out for maybe 3 or 4 hours and then be gone, now though he is out all the time.. Goes and hides around 7:00pm and is out and about by 8:00am.

Give him some time and he will adjust

My trigger does this...

Lol, I just got a six-line wrasse and within hours mine disappeared too... I found in a strange position in the corner of the tank half way under a rock!

Soccerdude said:
Lol, I just got a six-line wrasse and within hours mine disappeared too... I found in a strange position in the corner of the tank half way under a rock!

I seriously went crazy.. Not to the point of movie rocks around.. But I seriously didn't see him for 3 or 4 days after I added him.. I was really bummed because I was hoping to add some activity to my tank.. Now though he is all about and a lot of fun to watch

aadair22 said:
I seriously went crazy.. Not to the point of movie rocks around.. But I seriously didn't see him for 3 or 4 days after I added him.. I was really bummed because I was hoping to add some activity to my tank.. Now though he is all about and a lot of fun to watch

AMEN and yeah mine is under a big rock surrounded by little ones 0.o

Thanks for all the help. It is the fourth day today but I think I'll just take the advice given and just let him hide ( not going digging around for him) and wAit for him to pop back out. Its funny because I lottery saw him in the tank for 5 seconds and haven't seen him since.

I got home yesterday to find my wrasse had jumped into my corner overflow box. I had to fish him out. So now I put gutter grading down so he can't do it again.

My filamented fairy wrasse disappeared 11 days ago. Since I only have a 28 cube, he can't have that much area to get lost in for 11 days. It broke my heart. When I cleaned my tank 4 days ago, I vacuumed and swept the tank and sand. He still didn't make an appearance. Today, I bought a purple filefish and a brittle star. Both are hiding. I expected that. The brittle star I will only see at night. Might not see the fire fish for a couple of days, though I know where he's hiding.

Back
Top Bottom