wrasse with small goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a yellow coris wrasse who has in the past been a real jerk to my crabs, and shrimp i can't seem to keep any with him. Anyway i wanted to add some smaller reef gobies like ranfords, citron, or and neons. do you guys think he may be a problem with them.

TIA JC

Wrasses and crustaceans do not mix as a rule, same goes for snails sometimes. I would be very cautious adding any goby with a wrasse. Sometimes it works out but it really depends on the wrasse. By the sounds of it, yours is very aggressive.

Is this for the 36 gal?

Cheers
Steve

yeah for the 36. i have yellow watchmens in there already they are cool with him, and the wrasse is cool with the other fish, but what worries me is the small size of the little gobies

If you do not have problems with fish aggression you may be okay. I won't say it isn't a risk but that said, I have a sharknose with a red coris and they pretty much ignore one another.

Also be cautious with the wrasse depending on the actual species. Some "yellow" wrasses do get on the larger size which may end up being a problem for a smaller tank and they also get quite ornery as they mature.

Cheers
Steve

Any distinguishable markings or just a solid yellow (black dot on dorsal?)? Sounds like a Yellow coris as you've indicated. They are usually quite peaceful as far as wrasses are concerned. Not doubting you but sometimes the banana is sold as such.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom