xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to cut pieces of my xenia and put them in my other tanks , but im scared ill kill it , whats the best way to do this? Thanks

enjoyfish said:
I want to cut pieces of my xenia and put them in my other tanks , but im scared ill kill it , whats the best wat to do this? Thanks

Don't worry about cutting the xenia, if it is healthy, the chances of killing it are slim. Cut the xenia, rubberband to a piece of rubble and in a few days it will attatch and can be moved to the other tank. If you make the cutting in the tank, you might want to run some GAC in case the xenia releases any toxins. Probably the easiest way to propogate is to place a piece of rubbles right next to the colony or in the middle of the colony. When it overgrows the rubble, just cut it away from the rest of the colony. This method takes longer than propogating and attatching manually, but with xenia it shouldn't take too much longer.

In a healthy reef tank, propogating is not the issue. You will be throwing more of this stuff away than you started with. I just pitched about a 1/2 doz good size pieces that were growing on the back glass. When the Xenia start spreading too much (more area than a large cantelope) it begins to decline in health. I pull a bunch and it springs back to good health. If it is not growing and spreading like wild fire you may want to improve conditions (more lighting, water movement, etc) or your cuttings may not thrive either.

Anemoneman said:
In a healthy reef tank, propogating is not the issue. You will be throwing more of this stuff away than you started with. I just pitched about a 1/2 doz good size pieces that were growing on the back glass.

argh!! Some of us, (me) would be more than happy to pay you for that stuff!

I agree with Hara, let us know many of us would probably glady buy your xenia, I hate to see anything have to be thrown away as trash, especially a coral that is so expensive at the lfs. $30+ in this area, and your lucky if it has 2 or more pulsing polyps.
If anyone has some to get rid of please let me know.

I've been told that Xenia ships extremely poorly. If you want to take the chance to have some shipped to you I'm sure we can work something out. I've done some successful swaps before but with hardier specimens. It's up to you.

Mark

I would definately be interested, BUT I have nothing good to trade and it is winter here so I probably,shouldn't try to have anything shipped until it warms up. Let me know in warmer weather, or are there cheap tricks to shipping in the winter.
Thanks!

Thanks for the info . you arent kidding these things grow like crazy . im surprized they get any money for these .

hi have to tell you about xenia. i sold/traded over 100 of them from my 30gal to my lfs. he gives me 15 cash for 1 stalk or $20 trade. got all my stuff like this. don't know any lfs that would say no around here. as for the cutting xenia i don't believe in cutting them ever! i can get you 1stalk on a peice of live rock the size of a half dollar in 4days. just imagine 12 rocks with 1 and 2 xenia on each one in my 30 gal. the one in the middle is the mom. do not have these any more do to the crash in my tank. but i will do it again now that i have a 75

Back
Top Bottom