Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsrks
Yeah it's one of my favorites.
I put my xenia on the side glass its a fast grower being on the glass i just scrape off with razor blade as it grows out cause it can quickly take over i bought one stalk a year ago ive sold at least 30 stalks since then and still have about 15 or more but i used to attach to a rock with toothpick thru the base then into a small hole in the rock in 2 days you can pull the toothpick out

Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had my Xenia for three years and it never has done much growth. I was feeding my corals zooplankton and phytoplankton premixed liquid by kent. I changed over to chili reef from BRS and mix it with Cyclopes E. All the corals have tripled in size even the Xenia. They love it.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Xenia will quickly become a pain in the butt. I really regret adding it to my tank. I now have to weed it out an throw it away, it grows too fast an becomes a nuisance an my lfs doesn't want to buy it because nobody wants any. Id recommend not putting it in your tank. Its pretty at first, but loses its appeal after a bit.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad36
Xenia will quickly become a pain in the butt. I really regret adding it to my tank. I now have to weed it out an throw it away, it grows too fast an becomes a nuisance an my lfs doesn't want to buy it because nobody wants any. Id recommend not putting it in your tank. Its pretty at first, but loses its appeal after a bit.
Thats excactly why i grow it on the glass so i can scrape it off when it gets to thick it is good for exporting nutrients tho nothing like macroalgae but it does to a degree
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah, I've never tried growing on glass, that would make it easier. I went to a predominant sps tank though an I swear every time I think it's gone it sprouts up somewhere else. Needless to say, I'm just over it!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad36
Yeah, I've never tried growing on glass, that would make it easier. I went to a predominant sps tank though an I swear every time I think it's gone it sprouts up somewhere else. Needless to say, I'm just over it!
I did same thing went more sps i swear i spent 2 hours pullin xenia off a rock that it had takin over and then for a month afterward i was finding little small stalks growing here and there im not a fan anymore either
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have grown to hate Xenia too. Every month I spend time scraping the excess off the walls and glass. It's getting ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson417
I have grown to hate Xenia too. Every month I spend time scraping the excess off the walls and glass. It's getting ridiculous.
That and star polyps
Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

That and star polyps
And also rics im having issues with them now killin my sps
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsrks View Post
I've had my Xenia for three years and it never has done much growth. I was feeding my corals zooplankton and phytoplankton premixed liquid by kent. I changed over to chili reef from BRS and mix it with Cyclopes E. All the corals have tripled in size even the Xenia. They love it.
never heard of Xenia's not spreading like weeds, they either spread like weeds or just die off.

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com