xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i just bought some xenia frags from the LFS, jut wondering how i treat them for them to multiply and spread......

I've got the pumping xenia. I've used a razor blade to slice a branch off. Didn't cut it down to the rock and try to pry it off the rock though. I used a rubber band to secure it to another rock. It may have attached sooner, but after a week, I removed the rubber band and all was well. Otherwise, they will spread right where they are and get thick. I've had mine for about 5 months and it has increased in size about 5 fold already.

Be careful of what you ask for. At my growth/spread rate, I'll be selling them to the LFS before long.

Yep, pretty soon you'll be asking how to stop them from multiplying :lol:

Atari said:
Yep, pretty soon you'll be asking how to stop them from multiplying :lol:

Agreed.. Put those guys up high because the usually climb to the light.

ah....then how should i stop them from growing? coz i only have a 33g tank..... what about green brain corals, i find it difficult to feed it coz it wont eat when the lights are on????

you cant. you just let them grow and then frag them to a new rock and sell it ot the lfs. and they do grow like mad. you have no idea how fast they grow untill you have them in your tank for a month or so.

My xenia grow like crazy. I have two different species and both were doing great until a recent nirtrate spike. the damaged colonies are looking better today. Just let them grow from rock to rock and in a few months you will have some very nice colonies.

ZivioRR said:
about green brain corals, i find it difficult to feed it coz it wont eat when the lights are on????

Brain corals extend their feeding tentacles at night time although you can often times "train" them to feed during the day at a set time.

HELP!! my green brain coral is losing its flesh( the green puffy part) and i can see the white skeleton of it, like 1/4...... check my water and the nh3/4 are at 1.5mg/l. did a 15% water change... whatelse can i do to help it make it through??? :cry:

Keep doing the water changes... if the info in your profile is up to date then you have a large load in a small tank so your biofilter might be struggling.

Depends on the fish. I would say the equivalent of 4 clowns.

but i read it in a book that says i can have 1" of fish/gallon of water.. is that not correct???

There is no simple "rule" to how many fish tohave, only guidelines. It really depends on many variables. Size of tank, water quality, type of filtration, kinds of fish (large messy eaters vs. small clean ones), substrate, LR... I assure you that one inch per gal is not correct. It may be more true for a fw tank but not a sw one. I think most here recommend once inch of fish per 5 or 10 gal. (can't remember which).

The general rule for SW is 1" per 5 gallons. As mentioned though this is just a general rule...many things must be considered before decideint amount and type of fish.

Just to add, that's 1" of adult sized fish per 5 gal. Personally speaking, I think it's a useless rule.

hm..well, i just did a water change b4 that happen.. i also notice that there was a nh3/4 spike after a week of the water change. i remember that i washed clean my charcoal and sponge filters with tap water, could that have caused the spike?? i've been always doing that when i had a fo tank and i just bought my corals 2 weeks ago.... it look like its not gonna make it.. :( :( :(

btw, i have 3" dsb and im wondering if im suppose to syphon clean the sand? i dont want to syphon out the little critters that came with the live sand....

Back
Top Bottom