Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Interesting...

The white stuff at least doesn't sound like hair algae to me.

I don't think that exposing LR to air for a super-short period of time would bleach it out - mine gets exposed when I do a big water change. Maybe the transition from the old tank to new tank could 'zap' it a little, if so it should come back in time. How long since the move?

Not sure what the grey spots are - also don't know why the underside of your rock would retain more color than the top - that is odd.

If you are able to post a pic there are lots of others on the board who may be able to id.

If your dusters are looking good that is for sure a good sign.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Well I have talked to many people at LFS that say exposing LR to air shocks it like you said. When I changed from one tank to another, I lost about 40 gallons of water and had to use new RO water...dont know if this was a contributing factor either. I changed tanks about 2-2.5 months ago.
I cant seem to post a pic as when I upload them I get the message to resize them and i do this but it still doesnt allow me to upload. Wish I could post a pic.
The grey spots are on one of the older peices of rock and all of the new ones.
I have more feather dusters now that I did before the move for sure. i dont understand it either. Im hoping its not because the lights are so close to the water/rock...I wouldnt think so...otherwise why would the theory of more lighting hold up???

Old 11-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long ago did you move to the new tank? Sorry if you've already mentioned that... When you added the new RO water did you have a chance to pre-mix it?

Lastly, I will pm you my email address - if I can I will try to post the pic for you.

Nate
Old 11-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Put it in a high place. If it does well it will spread to anything it touches. Mine has increased 20 fold in the 10 months I've had it and I've only got 4x65w PCs in a 75gtank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nate-thanks for the PM...I will get a pic.
I move the tank 2.5 months ago. And yes I mixed the RO water for about 1 week.

Austin-are you saying put the rock in a high place? The best pieces of rock with the pink still on it IS at the top... Also I have 5 PH in the tank for water movement...I have a lot of water circulation... I do see from time to time small spots of red here and there on the base rock as well as the PH but that is it...
Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, only because mine spreads so fast and will likely grow towards the light. I keep all mine in the top 3rd of my tank as much as possible. Some in heavy water flow, others in moderate to mild. All doing well.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I wish this was the answer. At this point I can only hope that the reason the rock is losing its color is because I exposed it to air. I have new lights, good water parameters, etc...and still have issues with this. Im thinking of doing Kalkwasser next. Plus Im going to change my RO filters too this weekend. I dont make a lot of water but a contributing factor could be the RO filters are done.. I have been using them for about a year....Its a Kent 65 gpd.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is my Xenia (click for huge). I got it about a month ago, and it was about 1/2-1/4 of its current size.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been looking for xenia forever. None of my lfs ever have it. Well, I found one that had 1 piece the size of a q-tip they wanted $35 for. But that's what I get for living in the midwest. As for the rock, I can't see exposing it to air for a few minutes causing that kind of die-off. My rocks and even soft corals are exposed for longer than that during water changes and they don't seem to suffer any ill effects. Moving from tank to tank with slightly different water will likely cause some die-off tho'. It should come back in time tho'.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
dont want to put a coral in there to have it die.
Good luck on that one.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com