Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you just cut it off the rock and rubberband it to a small rock until it attaches? Is there a better way?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #12

Xenia is one of the easiest to propagate... Small rock, netting, rubber bands. I use the red onion bag... cut a circle out, place a very small head, 1 to 3 polyps on the rock, stretch the netting over it to hold it down, and rubber band it.. place it in a area with a bit of flow but not beating, and 4 or 5 days, it should be attached. Take the rubber band off, and the net should come off with a little tender care, and wha lahhh a new colony is formed...

It really is that simple....

Remember that the smaller cuttings heal faster than large ones... HTH.

Tim
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have them growing all over a branch even fragged to my crocea clam
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

were do you cut do you cut a piece of the bottom or do you cut the fingers
Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Either way. I don't think there is a wrong way to frag it. I've ripped them apart moving rocks and had them survive and grow new colonies. The cleanest way would be to cut at the base I suppose. Or, just lay a piece of rubble nest to it. It will attach to the rubble and you can then separate that piece by snipping it with scissors or a blade. Be prepared for lots of sliming. Or, you could also separate it by moving the piece of rubble a little each day stretching the xenya a little each time. It will separate itself from the other xenya. Another way I've done it is to place the mother rock against the glass. The xenya will grow on the glass which makes for really easy removal without having to cut. You can use a razorblade or algae scraper to remove it from the glass. This leaves no open wounds and they don't slime.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #16

Here is the easiest way I can tell you... Let GARF show you how.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice timbo2!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have another question. How do I remove it from a LR completely? Mine is growing like weeds. If I frag it, then the stud that is left attached to the LR will eventually grow back. Should I just try removing it by detaching it from the LR?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be tedious work but it is possible to work it away from the rock. Or, you could put a piece of rubble beside it, but make sure it's up against it so it will move onto the rock, then you can remove it. I've heard of people just pulling it from the rocks but haven't tried that myself.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
The toothpick method is by far the best. They attach quickly and it is real easy to do.

For me, when my xenia starts looking a little sluggish I know it's time for a water change. Just whatever you do don't let it get out of control. I think it's a shame that some stores won't support consumer aquacultured speciemens. Try to find yourself a place that does and ditch the one you currently go to.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com