Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

xenia

im looking to get one and have found mixed reviews on what they need to thrive so alot of opions would help out

Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I have seen just water I have had mine for about 6 weeks and it has split and moved to 2 different rocks. Moderate light and low to med flow. The lower the flow the more it will pulse. mine is about 30" deep in the tank under MH.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had mine for about 2 weeks and it was already split new branches. I would say brenden is right. Mine always pulses and extends more right after I do a water chnge though.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I started off with a piece so small I thought it was a piece of poop. THen it started growing and has taken over a 1/4 of my tank. Trying to think of a way to thin it out a bit really, grows like a weed.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy
I started off with a piece so small I thought it was a piece of poop. THen it started growing and has taken over a 1/4 of my tank. Trying to think of a way to thin it out a bit really, grows like a weed.
I like to place temporary rocks next to mine so that it grows all over it, then I can take the xenia in for 15-70 dollars in store credit each time, depending on the size I bring in. I got 25 bucks for a peice with about 8 heads on it.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
Thats a great idea!

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks so there not as hard as if been reading so 2 96 pc's and ideal water conditions this species will do well i think its cool watching them open and close
Old 11-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would love to get store credit, but the only store I have locally has a no trade/buy policy. They'll TAKE it of course, just not give anything in return. But I'm renovating a new house and have plans for a huge built in. I figure I can give a whole corner to it and just let'er go.

As for difficulty, the type I've got is going like crazy. I had a frag of pulsing xenia that only lasted a couple months and then wasted away. Kind of hit or miss I guess.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant give the stuff away. It is a fast growing coral but can be sensitive to water conditions and iv read in several places, people talking about xenya crashes destroying their tanks. I've had my xenya die off and tank crash but I didn't put it together at the time. It's a beautiful coral and when it does well, it does VERY well. I've also been told if you don't want it to spread, to place it high up in the tank since it only grows upwards. This is probably a good rule to follow but I have had mine grow downward. It did slow it down alot though.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
I took a pick of the xenia trying to pull away and attach to the live rock. Its cool looking! I seen the other piece do this. That is why I know what this one piece is about to do. I say go for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-161f.jpg (41.9 KB, 37 views)

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com