xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
im looking to get one and have found mixed reviews on what they need to thrive so alot of opions would help out

From what I have seen just water :) I have had mine for about 6 weeks and it has split and moved to 2 different rocks. Moderate light and low to med flow. The lower the flow the more it will pulse. mine is about 30" deep in the tank under MH.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks and it was already split new branches. I would say brenden is right. Mine always pulses and extends more right after I do a water chnge though.

I started off with a piece so small I thought it was a piece of poop. THen it started growing and has taken over a 1/4 of my tank. Trying to think of a way to thin it out a bit really, grows like a weed.

indy said:
I started off with a piece so small I thought it was a piece of poop. THen it started growing and has taken over a 1/4 of my tank. Trying to think of a way to thin it out a bit really, grows like a weed.

I like to place temporary rocks next to mine so that it grows all over it, then I can take the xenia in for 15-70 dollars in store credit each time, depending on the size I bring in. I got 25 bucks for a peice with about 8 heads on it.

thanks so there not as hard as if been reading so 2 96 pc's and ideal water conditions this species will do well i think its cool watching them open and close

I would love to get store credit, but the only store I have locally has a no trade/buy policy. They'll TAKE it of course, just not give anything in return. But I'm renovating a new house and have plans for a huge built in. I figure I can give a whole corner to it and just let'er go.

As for difficulty, the type I've got is going like crazy. I had a frag of pulsing xenia that only lasted a couple months and then wasted away. Kind of hit or miss I guess.

I cant give the stuff away. :lol: It is a fast growing coral but can be sensitive to water conditions and iv read in several places, people talking about xenya crashes destroying their tanks. I've had my xenya die off and tank crash but I didn't put it together at the time. It's a beautiful coral and when it does well, it does VERY well. I've also been told if you don't want it to spread, to place it high up in the tank since it only grows upwards. This is probably a good rule to follow but I have had mine grow downward. It did slow it down alot though.

I took a pick of the xenia trying to pull away and attach to the live rock. Its cool looking! I seen the other piece do this. That is why I know what this one piece is about to do. I say go for it (y)

Attachments

• mvc-161f.jpg
    mvc-161f.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 48
Can you just cut it off the rock and rubberband it to a small rock until it attaches? Is there a better way?

Xenia is one of the easiest to propagate... Small rock, netting, rubber bands. I use the red onion bag... cut a circle out, place a very small head, 1 to 3 polyps on the rock, stretch the netting over it to hold it down, and rubber band it.. place it in a area with a bit of flow but not beating, and 4 or 5 days, it should be attached. Take the rubber band off, and the net should come off with a little tender care, and wha lahhh a new colony is formed...

It really is that simple....

Remember that the smaller cuttings heal faster than large ones... HTH.

Tim

Yeah I have them growing all over a branch even fragged to my crocea clam

Either way. I don't think there is a wrong way to frag it. I've ripped them apart moving rocks and had them survive and grow new colonies. The cleanest way would be to cut at the base I suppose. Or, just lay a piece of rubble nest to it. It will attach to the rubble and you can then separate that piece by snipping it with scissors or a blade. Be prepared for lots of sliming. Or, you could also separate it by moving the piece of rubble a little each day stretching the xenya a little each time. It will separate itself from the other xenya. Another way I've done it is to place the mother rock against the glass. The xenya will grow on the glass which makes for really easy removal without having to cut. You can use a razorblade or algae scraper to remove it from the glass. This leaves no open wounds and they don't slime.

I have another question. How do I remove it from a LR completely? Mine is growing like weeds. If I frag it, then the stud that is left attached to the LR will eventually grow back. Should I just try removing it by detaching it from the LR?

It would be tedious work but it is possible to work it away from the rock. Or, you could put a piece of rubble beside it, but make sure it's up against it so it will move onto the rock, then you can remove it. I've heard of people just pulling it from the rocks but haven't tried that myself.

The toothpick method is by far the best. They attach quickly and it is real easy to do.

For me, when my xenia starts looking a little sluggish I know it's time for a water change. Just whatever you do don't let it get out of control. I think it's a shame that some stores won't support consumer aquacultured speciemens. Try to find yourself a place that does and ditch the one you currently go to.

Back
Top Bottom