Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Xenia

My LFS has a Xenia Tree that is for sale at about 50 dollars. My question is if I can keep it in my 15 gallon?

My tank has a 65W compact fluorescent (Coralife) light on it and it has been setup for about 10 months now. I have had nothing but live rock and a clown in the tank this whole time.

Is this enough light for this coral? The LFS guy said yes but I don't listen to the ones I don't know. There is also moderate flow in the tank from the bio-wheel and small powerhead. The tank is 12 inches tall, 24 inches long.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Yes. It will do good.

Beware though in a couple months you might hate it cause it grows so fast. I don't plan on ever buying xenia again. And I'm glad my bta is killing some of it.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You can usually get xenia for free from other reefers. That's how I got my original 2 pieces. I now regulary prune it. It stinks when out of the water!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

To fast of a grower IMO for a 15g tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I guess it depends on the xenia. For some people I've heard it just stayed a stalk amd not grown much for them.

For me I had just one stalk for months and it never grew but then after a galaxea pretty much devastated it, it came back and start splitting like crazy. Now I'm glad it has pretty much stopped splitting. I currently have like ~15 stalks. I already got $70 store credit from my lfs for some of the xenia.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Now that's the ticket. Propogation! I sell a rock (provided by my lfs) and a stalk to my lfs for $8 each. They sell'm for $25.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'd love to get store credit for xenia. I just don't have an lfs willing to make that deal...
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cool. Thank everybody for the replies. The guy said I could get by just using some Coral-Vite every now and then and feeding it phytoplankton I think? Is this true?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think Xenia needs feedings.....I'm starting to think it might not be Xenia, since you mentioned it was called a Xenia "tree". It might be a Kenya tree coral, which looks like Xenia, but does require supplemental feedings, I think....someone else please chime in here. Maybe take a pic of it at the LFS and post it here so it can be positively ID'ed? The other reason I think it might not be Xenia is that no LFS would try and sell Xenia for $50.....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Good point. Never heard xenia referred to as "tree".

Quote:
Coral-Vite every now and then and feeding it phytoplankton I think? Is this true?
More likely to foul your water than anything. Don't do it IMO. Regular water changes will give it all it needs. That's if we're talkin' xenia. Kenya tree (a leather BTW), same thing. No supplemental feeding needed.

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com