Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
ITs Hard to say just have to do water changes and offer some food here and there to make sure. From what ive been reading not alot is really known.

My Xenia Started Pulsing Today also =)

Old 06-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
What disd you do to get it to pulse?

Old 06-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
Well i placed it on the highest part of my rock to get the most light. And i also use vitamins for filter feeders. My one friend that has alot of SW tanks said it really helped his out. I think its called Coral Accel by Kent. I also have it placed in a moderate current flow. Sometimes there is no current and other times its moving like crazy it seems to like it.
HTH
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Yes well I forgot to do water changes for like 3+ weeks and my xenia started to wither and die. SO I quickly did a 50% water change and it came back. However it re-attached its stalk cause it had layed down when it was withered. Now it is basically in full flow of one of the power heads. But I am not goign to touch it or move the pump. I figure if it does nto like it it will move or start to die again. If that happens I will do somethign but for now it is whipping around like crazy. No way it is goign to pulse in that sort of flow but like I said I am nto goign to touch it for a hile and see how it goes.

I only have a 10 gallo ntank and I have two very small pumps in the tank. 60-80 GPH each or somehting around there.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have xenia and zoos in my nano seahorse tank. I feed the horses mysid shrimp every day, and have personally watched the xenia and zoos eat the shrimp that land on the polyps. I cut the pump off so that the horses can catch the shrimp, and they just land on the polyps, but they close up, and engulf the shrimp.

My xenia are growing like crazy, and I am going to have to frag it back to smaller size soon. I add no other stuff to the water, at all. I put 2 small frags of xenia in the tank about 6 months ago, and now I have 9 large and a half dozen tiny frags of the stuff.

I have two groups of the stuff, one very high up and one in the middle of the tank. The one higher up pulses much stronger than the lower level colony. Water flow is the same on both.

I am guessing that water flow, and light are much more important to these things, however, a little food every now and then can help. I would not add a lot of filter feeder stuff to the water because it can foul it up, in a hurry. I would just go with frozen mysid shimp, as everyone loves these and they are much more nutritious when compared to brine.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thought I'd offer my experience. I have zoos and xenya, have had them for years. I never feed mine and they spread and grow like crazy.
I agree do not dose anything you can't accurately test for. Your not doing your tank any justice and in essence could be doing it harm.
Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Tags
polyp, polyps, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com