Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
Xenia and Polyps

From my Understanding these corals do not filter feed???? They use light to thrive??? I just got them 3 days ago and they are open but i want to make sure i have the right things to care for them. I was informed Coral accel would help them thrive better is this true?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

they certainly require light to thrive but they do filter feed to some extent. At least thats how I understand it.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay I have fitler food also that i was told to feed every other day.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
There is really no need to feed them. They will get what they require from the light and from whatever leftovers are in the water when you feed your fish. You will most likely do more harm by fouling the water with the additives then anything beneficial.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Some DTs or cyclopeeze a couple times a week would be good for them and any other coral. Coral Accel. What is that anyway? Calcium or a variety of stuff? I'd try to keep that stuff up to snuff with regular water changes.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Again not tryign to ride my high horse but I have a few comments. We have all been guilty of purchasing a item that we may not have known all the facts about or made an impulse purchase. However when it comes to corals and reefkeeping it is really best to do a little research prior to makign your purchases. That way this sort of question can be avoided

What I mean by that is better to ask this question when you have time to get answers and review them instead of doing it in a rush type of mode where you need answers. This is nto a rush mode but it could have been.

The general concensus is that those two corals do filter feed to some extent. Most people feel that they filter feed to a very small extent and rely on the lighting for the majority of their growing and health needs. So addign filter food may not be nessassary but as long as you do it in small amounts and make sure not to foul the tank water it is not a bad thing to do. I add some filter food for my tank that has a bubble coral, polyups, a leather, zenia and mushrooms.

But again little is realyl truley known about the coral world and nobody fully knows how much energy these corals derive from light verses food. Heck there are many so called reasons why the zenia puls yet nobody knows which is the right reason. Some say it is to eat, some say it is to breathe, some say it is for other reasons. Who the heck knows.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So if some coral need iodine and others dont does it matter that the iodine is in the water?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'd try to keep that stuff up to snuff with regular water changes.

I offer that again. Iodine can be dangerous if overdosed and there's no accurate test (at least that we may afford) to determine when enuf is enuf.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I've read some where that xenia doesn't have the ability to capture food. Light is all they use to live. Right?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Some things you read will say that. Others might say that they are using the pulsing action to obtain dissolved solids in the water colum for food. I think that they do eat but I think the majority of their food comes in the form of light.

Tags
polyp, polyps, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com