Xenia and Zoanthids compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at combining two of my nanoreef tanks into a 30gal tank. In one nano, I have pulsing Xenia. In the other nano some Zoanthids.

Are these two corals compatible or am I risking a "chemical warfare" and tank crashing?

I know they will try to smoother one another, but I think I can keep them on separate rock formations to give each colony their own territory.

*edit* - since this is often asked.. I'll have about 25 pounds of live rock in the new tank and I'm also using a Remora Pro Nano AquaC protein skimmer

Thanks!

Yes they would be fine. I have a ton of pulsating xenia and pom pom xenia in my tank along with zoos/button poylps. My xenia grows upwards so it's at the top of the tank right underneath the lights and touching the surface of the water. My zoos are in the middle area of the tank so they aren't close to each other.

Also I would suggest getting another 25-30 lbs of lr to total around 50 lbs.

Also xenia likes flow and they can grow densely which you dont want because they can restrict the flow to the stalks in the center of the bunch so fragging every now and then would be helpful to it's growth. They also seem to grow faster after being fragged.

I have Xenia and zoos right next to each other in my 30 gallon and they are both happy. The Xenia is a little higher up in the flow and loves it there, it is spreading fast and has split into two colonies.

I just bought a zoo frag last week and i placed it not too far away from my xenias and they both seem to be very happy.

It should not be a problem. Give them a little space and you will be fine. I would run a product like Chemi=pure 24/7 for a few weeks just in case there are issues.

I agree with Brian that I would make sure of some space between them to be safe.

"Also I would suggest getting another 25-30 lbs of lr to total around 50 lbs". Lance 50 lbs in a 30 gal tank? Its suppose to be a fish tank not a rock tank and what about total water volume? Not to get off subject here but when is there too much LR??

Going by the 1.5 to 2 lbs of lr per gallon rule, you should have 45 to 60lbs of lr in a 30 gallon tank.... There will still be plenty of swimming room.

I like how this isnt the first time you have second guessed my advice.

Lance M. said:
Going by the 1.5 to 2 lbs of lr per gallon rule, you should have 45 to 60lbs of lr in a 30 gallon tank.... There will still be plenty of swimming room.

I like how this isnt the first time you have second guessed my advice.

It depends on the density of the rock as to how much room you will have left for swimming. IMO there is such a thing as too much rock, I have seen tanks packed with rock too meet that magic number and it looked like crap with not much swimming room. And what about water volume being displaced in small tanks due to 60lbs of rock? Just pointing out to newer folks that it’s not always important to follow the "rule"
And there are many ways to do things in the hobby and have a successful tank.
My 125 has about 140lb of LR, when set up it had 125lbs and all is well.

2nd guessed, just pointing out different ways to do things.. Things that have worked for me in my almost 5 years in the hobby and the experience I picked up from the local reefers in the reef club I'm in. Not just something I read in a book or on the net.. Personal experience IMO is much more important then something I read in a book.
I think my tank speaks for itself.. Granted I do not have harder to keep SPS in my tanks {this I why I don't give much advice on them} I do feel that I have been very successful keeping LPS, softies and healthy fish.
So if I bother you with my posts, sorry..... Nothing personal.. Post some pics of your tank so I can see your success in the hobby and how you have used your advice to work for you.
Oh and I have posted the same comment after other post before asking the same question.
Sorry for the high jack.....

Just seemed like you had something against me since you've followed up like that on a couple threads. I have a camera I just need to get it working and then get the film developed since it's not a digital camera. I'll prob have them by the end of the week.

In terms of crowding the tank with lr, you can always keep most of the rock in the sump if you have one. I have a 29 gallon that looked too full with LR, so I just starting putting the rock in the sump and cleared out the main tank so their is more swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom