Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

xenia....best way to get it going?

I have a Xenia that has been in my tank for about 5 or 6 months. for about the first four months it sat on top of my live rock and seemed very healthy. It grew from 5 stalks to about 8 or 9 stalks, which seems to be pretty good, but I have heard that they can grow much faster.

Recently, I purchased a pump for the other side of my 55 gal as the water was pretty stagnant on one side and I wanted better circulation. I was told that xenias liked a little bit of water flow too. As soon as I put it in the xenia started to shrink up and look less happy. I was told by a person in my lfs that the xenia would grow much better if i attached to the side of a rock and it could grow vertically. He said that in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks that it would grow all over the rock. I tried that but it didn't seem to make much difference. After about 3 days I took it off and placed it in a place that was kinda sheltered from the water flow. Now it is starting to open up again and look happier.

My question is what is the best way to attach them. Would it be best to do it sideways on a rock? should I avoid the water flow? Would they be better near the top of the tank or down near the sand?

Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What kinda xenia you got? Elongata (brownish) or Pom pom (more pinkish/whitish)?

Be careful what you ask for. That stuff can go like a weed. I had it growing in high flow, medium flow, and low flow. Depending on what sized tank you got, it can take over. I had it growing on my back wall in the return flow and on a snail.

Don't do the bottom of the tank IMO because it'll reach qwikly to the top and cover everything in its path. Keep it nearer the top if you want other corals to survive. The elongata grows/spreads much faster IME. You might want to talk to your lfs about trade in as you may begin to harvest it someday. If it's that prolific, you'll have to to avoid it being too heavy/thick, suffocating in its own mucus and crashing.

I harvested mine with small rock rubble, toothpicks, and rubber bands. I'd peel it off rock when thick enuf to sell to the lfs (at least baby finger thick with 3-4 branches on the stalk), stick the rubber band thru the base, and attach both ends of the rubber band around the rock - avoiding having the rubber on the plant. After 2 days, I could remove the rubberband and tooth pick. Some just toss clippings into a breeder basket with rock pieces and let it do its own thing to attach. One piece seemed to always attach to 2 or 3 rocks instead for me.

Sideways or on top of rock attachments will do, but as I said, keep it near the top of the tank if you want other corals to be in there also.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
You could also supplement with Iodine. Make sure you test frequently when dosing. BTW, I dosed mine with Lugol's Solution and it took off like weeds. I had to stop it immediately because it was getting out of hand. I started with 1 stalk on a shell, and now its on a rock about 10" wide and has about 15-20 stalks. In only 2 months! Like i said before, test frequently if you are going to use this product. Xenia's love this stuff.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Or just do regular PWCs. Hard to test for iodine. I'd recommend staying away from it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Although Xeniids can be finicky about their water parameters, they do thrive in a variety of conditions. If your Xenia seem to react better to calmer waters then by all means leave them be in such an area just as long as there is some water movement within the colony. Placement is best on vertical surfaces, which is more natural for them; however, they will "walk" to where they want to be regardless. If you place them at the bottom (if you lighting is strong) you can create a bommy away from your main structures so that if they begin to reproduce across the sand it will be much easier to fragment; otherwise, somewhere up top usually does the trick. Some have reported success with Lugols and some quite the opposite. Not all Xeniids react well to Lugols and is not a cure-all.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com