Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by David S View Post
I've been led to believe xenia thrives in more dirty systems

this isn't true, it seems to be what people say when they cant keep the more difficult corals alive and the xenias growing like a weed

iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My xenias never pulse and i've got some in high flow areas and some in low flow areas, however that hasn't slowed them down from growing...

jspicer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not all Xenias are the pulsing kind. I have heard that they like systems with some Phosphate and Nitrate. In fact some keep them in refugium and harvest them just like macro algae.

The ones in the reef I maintain were huge until i switch to an ATS and the Phosphate dropped off. I started feeding heavily and they slowly came back. So I think there is some truth to the 'dirty water' theory. That, and I was told that if you run an ATS and get to true zero N and P that the Xenia will likely die.

Other than that, I would think that as long as they have enough light and are not in heavy flow, they should be pulsing.

Oh yeah, I've also heard that they have a finite life span of about 2 years. If you frag them by just slicing off at the base, they grow right back, so frag them whenever someone else wants some. I've heard if they die they will emit toxins so watch carefully.
My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok will do

Sqasnatch is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, xenia, xenia coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com