Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I also want to know how to "prune" xenia. Not that mine is growing out of control or anything lol. Just for future reference

Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Cut it down as close to the rock as you can. The jelly remaining will return though. I got better at peeling it too to get it totally off the rock. Of course, when peeling it, don't want to tear it from another piece.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, so when you frag a xenia, do you remove the coral (which is attached to a rock) out of the tank? What if the rock is too big that removing it will mess up the rock work?

Also, don't they have toxins that are released when you try to slice through them?

What precautions do I take to lessen the possibility of toxins contaminating the tank, if any?

In terms of pruning, are you only referring to "weeding" xenias (the type that are just starting to grow on a rock)?

Would fragging encourage the chances of a tank crash if done from inside the display or if the resucitating frag is returned to the display (where proper lighting is)?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure if any tank would have a problem since no two are alike. Now, having made that disclaimer statement.....

In my 72g tank, I would frag no more than 10 pieces at a time. Did it inside the tank. The slicing or peeling was done under water, and yes there was a very small "puff" of a release, but I don't know if it was any toxin. The pieces I'd frag were at least the thickness of your baby finger and I never got any adverse water readings or other corals retracting or anything like that.

After slicing/peeling, the rubberband and toothpick assembly took place outside the water on a table top and the resulting assembled frag went back into the main tank. Stayed for 2 or 3 days, sometimes more if I didn't make it back to the LFS. I never had any adverse tank or inhabitant issues.

Then, one day I tried peeling instead of cutting. No "puff" or worry about anything emitted that way either. Of course maybe something baby finger sized provided a nice area to grab hold of to peel. I'm thinking smaller pieces fragged might make the "puff" release less of a concern.

Now, it's only my feeling, but NOT fragging when your xenia is really thick and abundant could cause it to crash. I've seen crashes described in tanks where the xenia chokes on it's own mucus if it gets too thick and can't get proper water flow and curculation thru it.

Maybe another method I used might help. Get a decent sized turkey baster. Plastic and rubber ball type. Cut with one hand and suck it up with the other. Might get some of that released "puff". Maybe when you remove the cut piece, have a small SW rinse nearby before you start construction.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What precautions do I take to lessen the possibility of toxins contaminating the tank, if any?
I recommend using fresh GAC after each fragging/pruning. It's also a good time to do your regular PWC's. In addition to those two things, a protein skimmer will aid in the removal of any toxins.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Excellent input there!

I got so caught with the frag process in my head, I did forget that peice of obvious information.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com