Xenia Frag Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Uhm, this is kind of unfortunate because I could have prevented it. :oops:

Anyway, when I got my xenia frag a few days ago I put it on a rock that is semi-close to the intake for my Penguin filter. Well, I have discovered that the xenia enjoyed the idea of getting sucked up a filter so much they stretched all the way across the rock and I got up this morning with one of the stalks sort of embedded in the little security grid. I pulled it out and there only seemed to be strong damage to one or two polyps, but now that stalk has a huge tear at its base and it can't lift itself up and is kind of separated from the others (which don't seem to care). Should I separate it all the way and put it elsewhere or leave it on the frag in hopes that it will grow back (away, naturally, from the filter :roll:)?

If water conditions are good, the Xenia will recover just fine. You can remove the broken stock and place it elsewhere in effect fragging it or just let it lay where it is. It will attach to the rock surface along the stock area and grow anew. Considering the proximity to the powerhead, I'd move the larger portion to a safer location.

Just watch for necrosis and brown jelly infections.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom