Xenia Fragging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Spear with a toothpick/cut, rubberband to a frag rock? I've done it, it works...just wondering how you guys frag Xenia?

Xenia is hard to frag. I find it easiest to frag it off of the glass as it crawls up the side of the tant. I use a needle and run it through the "stalk" close to where it attaches to the glass. I then use a sharp scalpel and cut it away from the glass. use the needle as a handle to remove the xenia from the water. It will be hanging uside-down when removed from the tank. Take a dry frag plug or LR rubble and apply some supper glue. Dry the end of the xenia and attatch it to the plug or rock. Let it cure for a few minutes and introduce it to the tank in an area of very low flow.

Xenia is one of those things that can take over a tank easily. I have a few stalks that I use to grow from the way I frag it is this. I place my main stalk on a rock (low on the rock) and it will work its way to the top as it goes it leaves behind new stalks. I try to make sure to use a rock that is easily broken apart. After about a month I have several new stalks. I've been trying this with plugs, just setting several plugs around the stalk and letting it spread to the other plugs. So far it is working.

I've been fragging that stuff for years. Had elongata once and it would easily peel (all of it) from rock or glass when I pulled it. That was my old 75g tank that I believe had a serious xenia crash. Killed all my inverts and coral. I belive I didn't frag it fast enuf and it choked on it's own mucus from being so think.

In my new tank, I've now got pom pom. It doesn't peel like the other did, but I will either scrape it from the glass or overflow to get clean pieces. I can still pinch those thicker pieces and pull it. I use the toothpick, rubber band and rock. Two days later remove the rubber band and toothpick (twisting motion) and it takes to the new rock.

Only get $8 each from the lfs, but I get the rock rubble free. I only do about 5 pieces a week since it does secrete mucus when I rip it and I don't run carbon to filter when I'm done.

Pics...

Attachments

• xenia rubber band.jpg
    xenia rubber band.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 82
  • poke xenia.jpg
    poke xenia.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 74
  • toothpick in xenia.jpg
    toothpick in xenia.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yeah, My LFS doesnt want any either. I sold him some Xenia Frags like two months ago....Now he's overrun :) I have to discard it also.

I keep my xenia in it's own spot in my frag tank. I don't have ANY in my main display anymore. When I set up the 210 I'll put some in on a rock that it can take over but that rock will be away from everything else!

Back
Top Bottom