Xenia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snotman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted recently about my Peppermint shrimp taking a liking to a pulsing Xenia in my tank.

The Xenia in question has now taken to remaining completley withdrawn. It slightly extends some of its polyps about 3/4 of an inch and they dont look particularly healthy. It used to be big and bushy with a 2-3 inch reach. Its also developed a white dusting and its anchor has lifted slightley in the middle. Whether this is through being attacked or its natural I dont know.

I have 3 of these corals and the other 2 are perfectly fine.

Can anyone tell me if this Xenia is dying and should be removed? If so, how do I go about it? My lfs (whom I am not totally confident with) says just leave it as it will probably regenerate and be back to normal in no time.

Water tests show no spikes and all is well.

Help me help me poor Xenia :cry:

Xenia is some funny stuff.
I've had some do poorly for a while then make a full recovery before melting away. :?
I've had other xenia that no matter how much I abuse or tear it from the rock it just thrives.
Go figure...

It sounds like there's still a spark of life in your xenia, but if it's going to make it is something only God knows.
Best thing you can do is just keep your water parameters perfect and keep an eye on it... oh yeah, and keep the shrimp away from it! :wink:
If it's a large colony and you decide to remove it make sure you have enough SW onhand for some PWC in case it all tears/disintegrates/slimes in your tank.

Good luck!

Any chance of replacing the peps with common cleaner shrimp? That's if youd like to keep the xenia. As long as it's being eaten on, I can't imagine that stalk would do well. Just wonderin' though, after they devour that one, they'll likey move on to the other 2 healthy ones. If the inside coloring starts to look dark, it's dying IMO.

But I'd doubt that one dying would foul your tank or anything. And yes, xenia can come back. Been referred to as the Pheonix for its ability to rise from a seemingly dead state.

But as mentioned, it's a weird coral and has a mind of its own it seems. But I'd still consider moving the peps out.

I think swapping out the pepps is a very good idea. They have suceeded in clearing the tank of Aiptasia, hence they they have started on the Xenia I suppose.

I will chat with my lfs where I got the pepps and see what deal can be struck. They are a very happy pair (loaded with eggs at the moment).
Actually.....do Peppermint shrimp get pregnancy cravings? :D

Back
Top Bottom